Is this chick okay??

gibsosyd

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2017
Arkansas

It's been 24+ hours since internal pip. It is not moving at all or making a sound. I'm scared it's dead but don't know how long I should wait until I intervene. Thanks!

My little baby didn't make it
sad.png
I knew that much blood didn't look right and it never moved or made another peep so I assume it pipped through a blood vessel and died. I still have two eggs in the bator on day 23 and no internal pip. Ugh I feel like the worst chick mom ever! :,(
It happens... Sorry.
sad.png

I would inspect the other eggs and carefully make my own break through into the air pocket. 48 hours after the first hatch, I believe is the time frame before doing it. There may still be live chicks, though unlikely.

A few links to help figure out what went wrong... might be gross pics...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00008570/00001/1j you might have to scroll to a couple of pages to get to your stage for diagnosing.

ETA: thank you for sharing. I hadn't seen a blood vessel pip before. It has been educational for me.

Last edited:

My little baby didn't make it :( I knew that much blood didn't look right and it never moved or made another peep so I assume it pipped through a blood vessel and died. I still have two eggs in the bator on day 23 and no internal pip. Ugh I feel like the worst chick mom ever! :,(

Don't be hard on yourself, we all loose some. As a beginner it's hard, even when you ask for help because you will get so much conflicting advice. Take the advice from experienced hatchers into consideration, but don't ignore your instinct either. I've seen many people go against their instinct after getting crappy advice and wishing they had listened to themselves. It doesn't matter what others think. You have to be able to come to terms with your decisions, not anyone else. Sorry for the loss. It never gets easy.

Hatching on day 23 would indicate that your incubator is running a bit too cool. Incubating takes some practice. And there is a lot that can only be learn from trial and error, like learning your incubator runs a tad bit cool, or figuring out what humidity level works best for your specific situation. Even when you do everything 'right', you can still have this sort of thing happen where the chick pips into a vessel or even worse. I had one chick pip at the wrong end and rupture it's yolk sac and die within minutes. It's not your fault. 5 hours isn't enough time for all the vessel to recede and for the yolk sac to absorb. There is nothing you could have done to save that chick.

After the external pip it can still take quite a while. the chick must rest up enough to start unzipping. They are continuing to absorb the blood vessels and yolk sack before they come out. That eggs looks pretty red inside. I would not be trying to help him out yet. 2 hours is not that long for inactivity. Is this your first egg to pip? And how close to your day 21 is it? Any more trying to hatch yet?

I wouldn't worry just yet, but I have only hatched one previous time. A good place to post might be one of the hatch a longs. There is usually a lot of activity by people actively hatching with lots of experience. And these things go by the front page so fast, people might not see it.

I wouldn't open the bator too much as you don't want to chill them. But sometimes people will play chirping sounds to encourage them to hatch as they communicate with each other to synchronize the hatch. Or even waving the flashlight back and forth to see if the chick will respond when they are unsure if it is still trying.

fl.gif

They were due to hatch yesterday and this is the first to pip. The other 2 still nothing. So I'm hoping they're just late hatchers. I'm so excited I can't stand it but am going to leave it alone for a few hours and check back. Thank you for the advice!!

They were due to hatch yesterday and this is the first to pip. The other 2 still nothing. So I'm hoping they're just late hatchers. I'm so excited I can't stand it but am going to leave it alone for a few hours and check back. Thank you for the advice!!

If you are able to play you tube videos near the bator, play a video of chicks, usually that will get some sort of reaction. Personally I would pull it out to check on it. Apparently it has pipped into a vein as that is quite a bit of blood. On top of that, it appears the membrane around the beak area is quite brown and leathery, which is a sign of dry membrane which could "glue" to it keeping it from moving. If you've seen no beak movement at all, chances are it has passed. Movement/sound at the bator whether chick is resting or not will usually result in a response of some sort.

My little baby didn't make it :( I knew that much blood didn't look right and it never moved or made another peep so I assume it pipped through a blood vessel and died. I still have two eggs in the bator on day 23 and no internal pip. Ugh I feel like the worst chick mom ever! :,(

Back
Top Bottom