Is this chick saveable

crittercaretech

out of the house and into the grow out coop
Mar 1, 2020
This is the last chick to hatch and he is back in the incubator now. Ive been hatching chicks for a while but have been lucky to have very few chicks with umbilical issues. Is this the yolk sac it looks different to me. I'm willing to do what it takes if this one is savable but don't want to make it suffer for my amusement either. The dad of this chick passed away unexpectedly yesterday so sentimentally it is a special chick.
KIMG0370.JPG

It's hard to tell really what it is. It could have just caught the yolk sac on something but that looks very fleshy/internal. If it's the intestines or any internal organs there's not a whole lot that can be done. I'll tag @azygous and @Eggcessive and see if they can help.

It's hard to tell really what it is. It could have just caught the yolk sac on something but that looks very fleshy/internal. If it's the intestines or any internal organs there's not a whole lot that can be done. I'll tag @azygous and @Eggcessive and see if they can help.
thank you. I was thinking it looked more internal as well but didnt trust my judgement to make the call. I appreciate you recruiting more opinions. chick seems extremely alert and active. too active it makes me crazy watching him drag around whatever it is hanging from his navel.

thank you. I was thinking it looked more internal as well but didnt trust my judgement to make the call. I appreciate you recruiting more opinions. chick seems extremely alert and active. too active it makes me crazy watching him drag around whatever it is hanging from his navel.
If he's still super active I'd just keep a close eye on him. If it is only yolk sac it will dry up and drop off.

You can put a tiny bit of neosporin (no pain killer) on the opening+mass. Just be careful not to tear anything.

Last edited:
If he's still super active I'd just keep a close eye on him. If it is only yolk sac it will dry up and drop off.

You can put a tiny bit of neosporin (no pain killer) on the opening+mass. Just be careful not to tear anything.

i will keep you posted great idea on the neosporin.

Can you see any intestines?
no it just looks solid red tissue it feels like it could be an empty yolk sac bag but a little thicker but no observable yolk inside. the bright red color threw me off a little too. not bleeding and no sign in incubator that it has previously. just checked on it and it is very alert and active has pooped and i will post a photo of how his navel looks currently below. it feels like a plump raisen. it certainly is drying up but the size of the base where it meets the body is a little concerning. the little white speck is broken egg shell
KIMG0373 (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom