Is this chicken sick or just frightened?

3 weeks ago I got 4 new hens. 3 have now integrated with my existing hens but one was being picked on really badly, so I’ve been keeping her separate. The problem is that although she’s eating and drinking ok, she won’t walk, but sort of lays on her side and scrabbles around her pen. I’ve had a good feel all over her and nothing seems broken, and both legs works fine she just won’t get up. Has anyone got any ideas what’s wrong and how to fix her?
I feed them a mixture of crumble/corn/grain and occasionally as a treat dog kibble soaked in warm water
I’m wondering if maybe she has an inner ear infection which would affect her balance
I'm sorry about your hen.

Can you get a photo of her head/comb?

I agree, she's not frightened, there's more going on. I would lean toward disease like Marek's. Without testing it would be hard to know.
Personally, if she's been like this for several days I would cull her but you can try and see if she will improve with giving supportive care of B-Complex (1/4 tablet daily), bringing her in and placing her in a sling for short periods of time.
Check her over for lice/mites since she's just laying there. You mention ear infection - take a look inside her ears for any pus. If possible get a fecal float too.

I would make sure she's eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Use corn/grain and kibble as a treat.

Here's some info on Marek's
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

The hen is definitely unable to make her legs work, and she's extremely frustrated and stressed from trying.

First thing is to install her in a comfortable crate. Then I would give her vitamin E on the off chance that whatever neurological imparment she has can be fixed.

In lieu of a crate to contain her and reduce her stress and anxiety, a chicken chair would help her remain upright so she can eat and feel normal. https://chickentherapychairs.weebly.com/

I'm sorry about your hen.

Can you get a photo of her head/comb?

I agree, she's not frightened, there's more going on. I would lean toward disease like Marek's. Without testing it would be hard to know.
Personally, if she's been like this for several days I would cull her but you can try and see if she will improve with giving supportive care of B-Complex (1/4 tablet daily), bringing her in and placing her in a sling for short periods of time.
Check her over for lice/mites since she's just laying there. You mention ear infection - take a look inside her ears for any pus. If possible get a fecal float too.

I would make sure she's eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. Use corn/grain and kibble as a treat.

Here's some info on Marek's
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Thank you

Positive news 🙂. After 2 days of 1mm colloidal silver twice a day plus rubbing her comb and back of her head with Neocort, this morning she was walking properly (wouldn’t win any races yet tho!!) and generally looked much happier. I was going to put her in a sling, but decided not to aT the moment. 🐔

Back
Top Bottom