Is this chicken sick or just frightened?

janmaree

Chirping
Dec 21, 2016
3 weeks ago I got 4 new hens. 3 have now integrated with my existing hens but one was being picked on really badly, so I’ve been keeping her separate. The problem is that although she’s eating and drinking ok, she won’t walk, but sort of lays on her side and scrabbles around her pen. I’ve had a good feel all over her and nothing seems broken, and both legs works fine she just won’t get up. Has anyone got any ideas what’s wrong and how to fix her?

Attachments

• C8DFC372-34B2-4230-93DB-F04BEA807001.jpeg
    C8DFC372-34B2-4230-93DB-F04BEA807001.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 29
  • B32AC477-D962-4A7A-914C-C34EDFFAF4A7.jpeg
    B32AC477-D962-4A7A-914C-C34EDFFAF4A7.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 22
3 weeks ago I got 4 new hens. 3 have now integrated with my existing hens but one was being picked on really badly, so I’ve been keeping her separate. The problem is that although she’s eating and drinking ok, she won’t walk, but sort of lays on her side and scrabbles around her pen. I’ve had a good feel all over her and nothing seems broken, and both legs works fine she just won’t get up. Has anyone got any ideas what’s wrong and how to fix her?

Sorry about the photos!!! Is there anyway I can delete them?
I think you attached the wrong photos...

meanwhile, until our American cousins wake up, try this site to narrow down the possibilities
http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Could you upload a video of her trying to move to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

A few questions, do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks, what is she being fed, have you checked the bottom of her feet for Bumblefoot, how old is she, did you quarantine the hens before integrating them with your current flock, have you had any problems with your flock in the past, if so what?

Could you upload a video of her trying to move to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here?

A few questions, do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks, what is she being fed, have you checked the bottom of her feet for Bumblefoot, how old is she, did you quarantine the hens before integrating them with your current flock, have you had any problems with your flock in the past, if so what?
This is the link to a short video of how she moves around..
In answer to your questions, I don’t know if she was vaccinated but I got her and the 3 others from an established breeder; not sure exactly how old she is but is point of lay; I feed them a mixture of crumble/corn/grain and occasionally as a treat dog kibble soaked in warm water; I haven’t checked for bumblefoot but will. My rooster is the only chook who’s ever had that, and I’ve never had any other problems with any of the hens previously; I didn’t really quarantine them, just kept them in a separate pen within the chook yard for a couple of weeks before letting them mix. I’m wondering if maybe she has an inner ear infection which would affect her balance. Any help you can give would be much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom