Is this chicks leg splayed, broken, or something else?

KathleenO

Hatching
Jun 6, 2017
These are my first round of chicks and I am not sure if this gals leg is splayed (so it needs to be held closer to the other leg with a rubberband, band aid, or pipe cleaner) or broken (so it needs to be splinted) or there is something else (deformity?) going on. I put a band aid on it for a few days to hold it about an inch away from her other leg and she was walking around with less struggle. But, when I put a new bandaid on, she kept pecking at it so I removed it. The rubberband method seems near impossible- I am scared of breaking her toes. I don't want to torture the poor gal but her movements look so labored so I want to help. Please see photos below. Your experiences and expertise are much appreciated :)
IMG_4396.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4393.jpg

Ok, thanks! Her leg doesn't seem to be hurting...? Thanks for the link too, I read it based on a previous post, but re-reading it was helpful. I went with the bandaid method. I had it off for a day or so though so maybe she reverted to her old pattern of walking. We will see how she does over the next few days...Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom