Is this chicks neck normal

Chickenmama2015

Chirping
Jul 17, 2018
Northern Indiana
Maybe I'm just overly worried but this chicks neck but it has been sideways since hatching. I thought that it could have just been stiff from being in the egg but it hasn't improved. Even when drinking when he puts his head up it goes sideways. And occasionally when the chick goes to look up and out of the fence he turns his head upside down like with his beak towards the fence. None of the other 7 chicks do this either it's just this one chick. Of course this chick has became my favorite and even named after the crooked neck.

Attachments

• IMG_9886.JPG
    IMG_9886.JPG
    358.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9888.JPG
    IMG_9888.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9889.JPG
    IMG_9889.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9893.JPG
    IMG_9893.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9894.JPG
    IMG_9894.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9896.JPG
    IMG_9896.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 28
Maybe I'm just overly worried but this chicks neck but it has been sideways since hatching. I thought that it could have just been stiff from being in the egg but it hasn't improved. Even when drinking when he puts his head up it goes sideways. And occasionally when the chick goes to look up and out of the fence he turns his head upside down like with his beak towards the fence. None of the other 7 chicks do this either it's just this one chick. Of course this chick has became my favorite and even named after the crooked neck.

Awe poor thing! It looks very bad and I feel it may get bullied by the others as they get bigger if she makes it. I can't believe it is able to eat like that. It definitely would have improved by now if it was just stiff. She is deformed it appears. If you want to keep it you may have to be prepared to keep it separated from the flock-I hope not! Please keep us updated on her progress.

Looks like it could be wry neck, which can be caused by a vitamin E deficiency. Try giving this chick a supplement with vitamin E and selenium. I had a baby just like this, which sadly didn't make it (unable to eat and drink after time, lost interest in preening, had to cull). Wry neck can take months to improve, so as long as they're still eating and drinking there's a chance they'll straighten out. I hope your chick gets better!

Here the chick is today. I have had a lot better luck to night getting the vitamins down. I had to separate him because I walked over to the brooder and thought he was dead. Usually when I call for him he comes and he didn't move so I about had a heart attack but turned out okay thankfully.

Attachments

• IMG_9923.JPG
    IMG_9923.JPG
    452.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9924.JPG
    IMG_9924.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9928.JPG
    IMG_9928.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom