Is this Coccidiosis in my week old chick?

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Poop picture below. I have three chicks that I picked up last Saturday from a breeder. I picked up four, but one died the first night. The remaining three are eating, drinking, and running around. I'm not sure who is pooping the red stuff. I have liquid Corid on hand, and started with 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water yesterday. I'm tagging some people for their input.
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @aart @sourland

Attachments

• IMG_E0967.JPG
    IMG_E0967.JPG
    537.8 KB · Views: 8
That does not appear to be blood. Unless my eyes and brain are not translating the image and color accurately, it appears to be intestinal lining. This is a normal process, and unless you see an entire puddle of the stuff, nothing to be concerned about.

Not that chicks can't acquire coccidia exposure, but it's rare for such young chicks to have been exposed, incubated it, and then produce symptoms before they are a week old.

Poop picture below. I have three chicks that I picked up last Saturday from a breeder. I picked up four, but one died the first night. The remaining three are eating, drinking, and running around. I'm not sure who is pooping the red stuff. I have liquid Corid on hand, and started with 1/2 teaspoon in a quart of water yesterday. I'm tagging some people for their input.
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @aart @sourland
I agree, it looks pretty normal to me.
It won't hurt for them to have the Corid if you've started it.
Offer a little yogurt or probiotics after you finish.

Back
Top Bottom