Is this Coccidiosis?

Its warm. If tou put your hand in it’s comfortable. Some places are cooler others warmer. Will making a mush help them in digestion?
For this age of chicks and without a broody, yes - I would soak the feed overnight. Do it in small batches - just enough to feed them all in a day.

It will help soften up the corn a bit but they still need some grit to help process that efficiently. Do the best you can in picking out the largest pieces of corn. As they get a little older, they shouldn't have a problem handling those, but they are only a few days old right now.
If you've never had issues with feeding that feed, then I would almost assume that grit is added, but it wouldn't hurt to provide a small amount of course sand if you have any.

For this age of chicks and without a broody, yes - I would soak the feed overnight. Do it in small batches - just enough to feed them all in a day.

It will help soften up the corn a bit but they still need some grit to help process that efficiently. Do the best you can in picking out the largest pieces of corn. As they get a little older, they shouldn't have a problem handling those, but they are only a few days old right now.
If you've never had issues with feeding that feed, then I would almost assume that grit is added, but it wouldn't hurt to provide a small amount of course sand if you have any.
Thanks for such a complete reply. There was construction going on around here so I assume i will find some concrete. Will small( small enough for them to eat) sharp concrete rocks suffice?

I lookep up and this starter feed has all types of things from toxin binders to calcium carbonate. I dont know what that does but their seems to be no mention of grit. It has fishmeal and they mentioned some names of some amino acids

I lookep up and this starter feed has all types of things from toxin binders to calcium carbonate. I dont know what that does but their seems to be no mention of grit. It has fishmeal and they mentioned some names of some amino acids
Can you get a photo of the label or give a link to the product you are using?

Can you get a photo of the label or give a link to the product you are using?
No there are no labels. Its sold in anything you can carry it in. Its just the staple brand of every chick raiser here.these are the ingredients probably

Attachments

• 01AC140E-A226-43AD-8B2D-8EAB93D6DD8B.jpeg
    01AC140E-A226-43AD-8B2D-8EAB93D6DD8B.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
Not a good idea.
What should i feed the sick one though. Hes not eating on his own. I syringe fed him some rice powder mixed in water. He seemed to have pooped that. There is some feed in the crop of the two sick ones from yesterday. I noticed that now. They are not emptying. What does that tell us

If you have a coffee grinder or food processor, take some of the feed (I would still remove the large pieces of corn) and grind it up into a much finer consistency. Then mix it with some water, let it soak, to still soften it up some. Poultry Grit is usually is crushed granite. The problem with concrete, is that after ingesting (if they did) it could basically become concrete in their insides. The granite won't do that. They need some kind of grit in their gizzards to properly digest what they eat. Most places that sell poultry feed also sell grit. There are two sizes usually, chick grit which is much smaller so they don't choke on it, and regular poultry grit for when they get larger. When birds are outside, depending on the environment, they are sometimes able to find small stones and bits on their own, but it's a good idea to have it available anyway. Prevention is easier than cure when it comes to digestion.

No there are no labels. Its sold in anything you can carry it in. Its just the staple brand of every chick raiser here.these are the ingredients probably

What should i feed the sick one though. Hes not eating on his own. I syringe fed him some rice powder mixed in water. He seemed to have pooped that. There is some feed in the crop of the two sick ones from yesterday. I noticed that now. They are not emptying. What does that tell us
I would say that the feed should have what's needed, especially since you've been using that before.

The one that is sick, do what you can to get fluid into her, then I would offer a little egg.
I honestly don't know anything about rice powder, but if it mixes with water o.k. then it's probably fine to give small amounts.
I'm going on the assumption that you are not in the US, so sometimes it's hard to make suggestions since I'm not familiar with what you have available.

The crops not emptying overnight, tells us that the chicks are not processing their feed - BUT if you have the light on all the time, then it's harder to gauge crop function, since chicks will eat at all hours when they have light.

If you have gravel or rocky soil on hand, chick sized grit can be sifted out through a large sieve or colander.

You still haven't mentioned how warm AND cool it is in the brooder. Get a thermometer and get an accurate reading. You need both warm and cool areas inside the brooder. Heat stress will kill chicks just as quickly as cold.

I assume you're not in the US? If you are, I'd get some Poutry Nutri-Drench and direct dose a few drops to the chicks as well as put some in their water. If that is not an option, I've used molasses diluted with some water as a substitute in a pinch (as molasses is a main ingredient in Nutri-Drench).

Back
Top Bottom