Is this Coccidiosis?

All my chicks are raised buy their mothers i never had to. I have this emergency brooder in a closet. I have a heat bulb and this is the the stuff i have always fed them. Only thing available for chicks locally. Ive never had a single chick having problems early on in their life for the last two years except For this time.

I am giving them sugar water. How do i find grit for them. Does this seem to have grit in it? I have always given them this and in previous batches the mother didn’t use to be outside the hen used to be in this closet so i dont know how she found grit here. They didn’t have ant problems in previous ones
It may have grit in it, I don't know - does the feed have a label on it? If so, it would say that grit is added - some feeds do.
OK so Mom never roamed outside with her chicks? You always raise them in that room. So, look at the temperature in the room - is it warm enough - too hot/cold?

Where are you located in the world?

I think I would probably take a day's worth of feed and soak it overnight, just to help make a mush. Take out the larger pieces of corn if possible. Do that for a few days.

Those grains look a bit big for chicks not out where they can get grit.
Is it some kind of starter feed?
Are they going under the light to keep warm?
Is the light you have specifically for poultry?
Some heat lights, used in the food industry, can be covered with a safety coating of teflon which is highly toxic to poultry.

3 chicks are lethargic 3 days old. Ones poop is shown. Others dont have this kind of poop. Is this cocci

This bulb is a normal light bulb of 60 watts. Should I remove it? Everyone here uses these bulbs with no problems. Yes this is starter feed. Yes these grains look big but they dont eat these ones. I remove the big ones they only eat the small ones. I heard corid will help them against cocci in Reddit. They also said this poop is surely cocci. I only wanted to know that

I will give them probiotics . But why are they lethargic and not eating
I would work on getting them hydrated. Give a little sugar water or if you have electrolytes that would be good.

Can you tell us the temperature in the room?

Sorry to hear that the hen died. She would be finding grit for the chicks too so they can process the feed. Since she's not there, then it's up to you to provide some grit. Do you have some course sand that you can put in their area for them to pick at? Not a lot, just a little will be fine.

At 3 days old, I wouldn't be concerned about Coccidiosis yet. The lethargy is concerning, but I would look at other things - too hot, not drinking and not being able to process the feed without grit. See if they improve when you check on these things and make any needed adjustments.

Its warm. If tou put your hand in it’s comfortable. Some places are cooler others warmer. Will making a mush help them in digestion?
For this age of chicks and without a broody, yes - I would soak the feed overnight. Do it in small batches - just enough to feed them all in a day.

It will help soften up the corn a bit but they still need some grit to help process that efficiently. Do the best you can in picking out the largest pieces of corn. As they get a little older, they shouldn't have a problem handling those, but they are only a few days old right now.
If you've never had issues with feeding that feed, then I would almost assume that grit is added, but it wouldn't hurt to provide a small amount of course sand if you have any.

If you have a coffee grinder or food processor, take some of the feed (I would still remove the large pieces of corn) and grind it up into a much finer consistency. Then mix it with some water, let it soak, to still soften it up some. Poultry Grit is usually is crushed granite. The problem with concrete, is that after ingesting (if they did) it could basically become concrete in their insides. The granite won't do that. They need some kind of grit in their gizzards to properly digest what they eat. Most places that sell poultry feed also sell grit. There are two sizes usually, chick grit which is much smaller so they don't choke on it, and regular poultry grit for when they get larger. When birds are outside, depending on the environment, they are sometimes able to find small stones and bits on their own, but it's a good idea to have it available anyway. Prevention is easier than cure when it comes to digestion.

Back
Top Bottom