Is this comb suspicious?

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
2 weeks and 2 days old. It's either a cream legbar or Partridge Olive Egger. I think it's the latter since the other chick I have who looks similar seems to be getting a little crest. This seems too big of a comb for this age. Thoughts?
IMG_2941.jpeg

That comb is a little sus. :weeI got to us one of those kids slang words.
But ya watch the comb and what color the breast starts feathering in. That should be in a week. Mostly reddish will be female. Mostly black will be bad news.

That comb is a little sus. :weeI got to us one of those kids slang words.
But ya watch the comb and what color the breast starts feathering in. That should be in a week. Mostly reddish will be female. Mostly black will be bad news.
Is that breed specific? I don’t think this is the legbar. I think it’s the Partridge Olive egger from my pet chicken. Which makes for a very expensive cockerel 😞

Is that breed specific? I don’t think this is the legbar. I think it’s the Partridge Olive egger from my pet chicken. Which makes for a very expensive cockerel 😞
Honestly I don't trust anything MPC says. They're into the "designer breed" chickens. All that means to me is that they're cross breeds. Nothing against that but places like them start crossing and have no idea about pattern genetics so often their descriptions are off or they make up names.
Last "partridge" OE I saw from them was duckwing. Like a legbar.
Either case, legbar or partridge or a mix of the two. The males will get black breasts and the females won't.
If it's a male it may start out with some random pattern feathers in there but the breast area will come in mostly black.
The female will be mostly reddish or brownish with lots of pattern to them.
You can post pics later when it's getting the breast fully feathered if you want opinions.

Honestly I don't trust anything MPC says. They're into the "designer breed" chickens. All that means to me is that they're cross breeds. Nothing against that but places like them start crossing and have no idea about pattern genetics so often their descriptions are off or they make up names.
Either case, legbar or partridge or a mix of the two. The males will get black breasts and the females won't.
If it's a male it may start out with some random pattern feathers in there but the breast area will come in mostly black.
You can post pics later when it's getting the breast fully feathered if you want opinions.
Thanks I’ll do that! I appreciate your explanation and expertise!

Almost 6 weeks (Monday). Here’s the same bird. I’m less concerned now since the feathering is definitely reddish. Also the comb hasn’t grown anymore since and is pale yellow, no coloring. I had a surprise cockerel in the past and by this age his comb was plenty red and obvious. I know 12 weeks is the real tell tale but I think that can also be very breed specific. My white leghorn pullet had the same size comb at this age, just pale yellow like this.

IMG_3162.jpeg
IMG_3164.jpeg
IMG_3165.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom