Is this coryza?

Noble Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
NY
Poor girl's face and comb are so swollen it looks like she'll pop. One eye had white foamy discharge this morning but not this afternoon. There is no horrible scent coming from her nostrils and her breathing sounds normal, which is making me question a coryza diagnosis but the swelling sure sounds like it. The swelling seems to be interfering with her vision somewhat too; she was having trouble finding some mealworms I put on the ground but she can still find things like the waterer (thank goodness, since it was 90 here today) and feeder. Any thoughts are most appreciated!

I would suspect that she may have been stung by an insect. I would give her 1/4 of a 25 mg benadryl tablet orally once, to see if the swelling goes down in a day or so. Usually with respiratory diseases the face or wattles can be swollen, but the comb usually is not swollen in MG or coryza. The comb can be swollen in some other diseases. Let us know how she gets along.

Thanks, Eggcessive, I will try that. I gave her 2.5 mg of prednisilone this afternoon to see if that might help with the swelling but unfortunately there was no change. The comb swelled up before her face did so maybe she was stung by something there? It looks so uncomfortable!

Thank you, Kathy. That dosage table is fascinating! The prednisilone didn't do anything for the swelling, regardless, so I didn't give her any more. Depending how she looks when I go to put everyone in later I will try the Benadryl. She's still in decent spirits and happily took a dustbath earlier today.

Just to finish out the thread, unfortunately the Benadryl didn't really do anything for her. The swelling has mostly subsided now, apparently on its own. Based on some posts on the BYC Facebook page, it looks like some kind of sinus problem is hitting a lot of people's birds this summer. Wonder what's going on. Poor things certainly look unhappy while they're going through it.

Back
Top Bottom