Is this Craig's List ad for real?

Interesting. I learned something from this thread, as I often do. I had mistakenly assumed that since the RIR can come in Single or Rose comb, the RIW could also.

Since RIW have rose combs, my Meyer Hatchery Red Sex Link RIR over RIW roosters should have a R,r comb, not a single comb. I'm going to go look at them real closely in a few minutes.

I'm aware from something Tadkerson said about EE's that a P,p may not look like a pure P,P but may look a little funky. I wonder if the same is true of an R,r?

Sorry about the hijack, but there are some knowledgeable people posting on this thread.

My thouhgts?

1. Rhode Island whites are a real breed

2. They don't give any back ground on how they acquired this bird. Do they have an ancestry of this rooster?

3. The ALBC write up does say "single comb" birds do occasionally occur.

4. A simple search of the SOP should give information on sex link crosses. It does with the Delaware breed to the RIR and the New Hampshire.

5. Anyone can ask what they want for anything, and anything will sell if the price is right. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

6. As for the rarity of any breed? Here in NY I posted all over the state for Delawares and got one hit for five birds. So it may be rare where the OP is, but not elsewhere.

7. If you are looking for quality stock then you will have to do your homework and pay a fair price for it.

8. Weigh the risk and decide whether you'll willing to take it.

I wish you well,

Rancher

I guess I was suspect because of the comb. Also the price when people here give away roosters unless they are raising to show. What about the sex-link thing? If you used the RIW with RIR hens, would the chicks really be able to be sexed at hatch time? Thanks for all your expert opinions. I'd just never seen anything like this and he doesn't say where he got it.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Others mentioned this earlier in this thread, but no. It is the other way around. A RIR rooster over a RIW hen will give red sex links. The rooster has to have the Gold gene and the hen has to have the Silver gene to make Red Sex Links.

Quote:
Others mentioned this earlier in this thread, but no. It is the other way around. A RIR rooster over a RIW hen will give red sex links. The rooster has to have the Gold gene and the hen has to have the Silver gene to make Red Sex Links.

This is true, if you use a "RIW" roo ( single combed like hatcheries use ) on red hens you will get all white males and females with the males showing a bit of gold but that won't come in til later.

I don't know if the true RIWs have the same genetics as the hatchery whites to produce sexlinks, I've onl worked with hatchery whites for breeding sexlinks, they are silver columbian plus dominant white.

Clint, how is this so? That is a sexlink combo I am unaware of, and is nowhere to be found on the legendary sexlink thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208).

You've actually tried the "RIW" roo over red hens and achieved sexable results? My understanding, and I believe that of the others, is that you can indeed use these two breeds, but it must be the "white" hens and a red roo, which would render it impossible with this particular offering.

I use to own some Rhode Island Whites several years ago. Most hatcheries do sell them, the ones I had also had a single comb, they were purchased from Privett or Ideal Hatchery.

No one said there was no breed as a Rhode Island White, but what we are saying is that there is no Single Comb Rhode Island White breed.
What hatcheries call and sell as a R.I. White is a cross breed that most likely has no R.I. White in its background at all.

Chris

Quote:
It isn't a sexlink combo That's what I said in the post .
if you use a "RIW" roo ( single combed like hatcheries use ) on red hens you will get all white males and females with the males showing a bit of gold but that won't come in til later.

Meaning that since both hens and rooster will be mostly white, they will not be sexable at hatching. It must be the other way around, RIW hens with a red roo and this will give sexlinks and I have I have done this before. There's a sexlink thread somewhere around here that got closed, but I have several pics of the cross on the first page of it.​

Back
Top Bottom