Is this Craig's List ad for real?

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
Saw this on Craig's List this morning. Is this ad for real or is someone trying to pull one over on us? http://slo.craigslist.org/grd/2773411059.htm Sorry, this does not go through to Craig's list. So here is what the ad said.

Rhode Island WHITE rooster. Beautiful young bird, 6-7 months old. Quite rare, listed as a species to "watch" on the Conservation Priority List. The Rhode Island WHITE is a separate breed from the Rhode Island RED, but if mated with a RI red hen, you can tell the sex of the babies by the color of the chicks - males will be white, females will be red. Pretty handy! This is a friendly rooster who will eat out of your hand. While the "Standard of Perfection" lists a rose comb, this rooster has a single comb. More background below.

If you're interested, email me at cameronDOTcsATgmailDOTcom. $40 cash or two bags of lay pellets!

Rhode Island White Chicken
The Rhode Island White originated in 1888 through the efforts of Mr. J. Alonzo Jocoy of Peacedale, Rhode Island. He developed the breed by crossing White Wyandottes with Partridge Cochins and Rose Comb White Leghorns. In 1903, Mr. Jocoy made the breed known to the public and offered individuals for sale. The breed continued to be developed and improved so that it more closely resembled the Rhode Island Red's brick-like body shape. This distinctive shape helped to prevent the breed from looking similar to and being confused with White Wyandottes or White Plymouth Rock chickens. In 1922 the Rhode Island White was admitted to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection during the national conference in Knoxville, Tennessee, that year. The Rhode Island White gained some popularity in the US up until the 1960's, at which time their numbers began to decline. The breed never came close to the overwhelming popularity that the more famous Rhode Island Red chicken achieved.

The Rhode Island White is a moderately-sized, completely white bird with the males weighing 8 1/2 lbs. and females 6 1/2 lbs. They have long, broad, and deep bodies which are carried horizontally, giving them an oblong and brick-like appearance overall. Their breasts are deep, full, and well rounded. Their heads are fairly deep and are inclined to be flat on top rather than round. Though some single combed offspring do occasionally occur, the breed is has been standardized only with a rose shaped comb.

The historic laying ability of the Rhode Island White was respectable by all accounts, with one exceptional hen at the Mountain Grove Experiment Station in Missouri noted as laying 306 eggs in one year. Productive strains of this breed have been known to more typically lay in the 240-250 eggs per year range. They are reputed to be splendid meat fowl and excellent layers of winter eggs. Rhode Island Whites are pleasant, easy going chickens and would make an enjoyable addition to any family farm. Today, the Rhode Island White chicken continues to have its followers and maintains a population of less than 3000 birds (2003 ALBC poultry census).​

Last edited:
How do you think this person is trying to pull a fast one? I don't see anything at first glance that appears untrue. The rooster is a bit pricey, but other than that
hu.gif

Here is a write-up on the RIW:

http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/rhodewhite.html

I'm with speckledhen, sounds like a legit ad to me. They even disclose the straight comb, but I guess that does make me wonder if it's a white rock instead? The person does seem to know a little about the breed...........why do you think it's a bad ad?

$40.00 for a cross bred "Rhode Island White" is way over priced.

Chris

Last edited:
If it works for him I might try it with some of roosters when it's time to thin them out in the spring! It sounds like wording from a hatchery catalog and makes the rooster sound very special, right?
lol.png
My girls are eating like pigs - two bags of feed for a rooster is quite a deal! LOL

The breed information for RIW is correct. The single comb does make me wonder if he has what he thinks he has. The price is way high, as I said before. Wasn't sure what the OP meant by "pulling a fast one", though--the breed info, the price, etc?

I don't think you'd be able to tell the sex of the chick when hatched though. It should be the red over white, not white over red.

Back
Top Bottom