Is This dry pox? eye is getting worse! cream not working, help! (PICS)

foxypoproxy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Madison, CT
Ive been having issues with my 4 month old japanese bantam "sakura's" eye.
At first i thought it was a peck mark till i realized her face was puffy and her eye was bubbling.
I took her to the vet and he prescribed tetracycline and steroid cream for her eye.
Ive been putting the cream in her eye, yes he said "in" her eye so thats what ive been doing.
Every time i do that it gets more irritated and the bump/peck mark popped and alittle bit of puss and blood came out.
Now i woke up this morning and the bump is black and she can barely open her eye.
Did i make it worse? is this dry pox? am i making it worse? what should i do?
I fed her some scrambled eggs hoping it may help. I'm scared to keep applying the cream.
I don't think its any kind of respiratory infection because the eye problem is the only symptom.
My other birds aren't showing any signs and have been separated from her.
I love my chickens very much so please help me find out whats wrong with her.

First Day:
lefteye1.jpg

lefteye2.jpg

lefteye3.jpg

Second Day:
100_3779.jpg

100_3784.jpg

100_3787.jpg

Today:
100_3790.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you,
Because it turned black and we now see another one on her other eye.
I think its pox.
I guess we will just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I'm thinking coryza which is some type of respiratory infection. I guess that Sulmet is supposed to take care of that but it might not hurt to have another antibiotic (a good one for respiratory) on hand. Don't mix the two though. I think Sulmet's the one to use. Just move on it quickly. Poor girl needs something quick!

"Flock medication with a sulfonamide or antibiotic is recommended. Various sulfonamides -- sulfadimethoxine (SDM), sulfaqumnline (SQ), sulfamet hazine (sulmet) are all effective; however, sulfadimethoxine is the safest and the one prescribed as treatment of choice. SQ and Sulmet are more toxic and require intermittent administration. Therapy in the drinking water will give more immediate response and reduce the severity of the disease. Feed administration of the sulfa or antibiotic does extend the period of treatment for better control. A combination treatment approach is advisable. Administer medication in the drinking water until medicated feed can be provided. Antibiotics that are beneficial include tetracycline, erythromycin, spectihomycin and tylosin. All are safe and approved for use in poultry. Control cannot be accomplished with drugs alone. Management is equally important. A bacterin is available that can be used in a control or eradication program. The bacterin requires multiple injections to be effective which makes it costly and cumbersome for commercial flocks. Control requires attention to flock sanitation, biosecurity, preventive medication, clean and sanitary premises, and disease-free replacements."

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

Quote:
We recently got her with some other chickens.
So they have been in quarantine this whole time and haven't been anywhere near my flock luckily.
Shes separated from the new chickens as well because shes the only one showing signs of pox

Quote:
I really hope its not coryza
hit.gif

I'm thinking its pox because the people we got her from said they recently had an issue with pox it one of there other chickens and it got better. Also she now has another "pox mark" on her other eye.
Does coryza have any other symptoms to look out for?
would it be bad if i waited a week to see if the black scab thing falls off like it would with pox? So i don't waste money getting coryza medicine then finding out she doesn't have it?

she doesn't have any sneezing or nasal discharge, only the eye thing...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom