Is This dry pox? eye is getting worse! cream not working, help! (PICS)

Quote:
Thank you
hugs.gif

Quote:
I really hope its not coryza
hit.gif

I'm thinking its pox because the people we got her from said they recently had an issue with pox it one of there other chickens and it got better. Also she now has another "pox mark" on her other eye.
Does coryza have any other symptoms to look out for?
would it be bad if i waited a week to see if the black scab thing falls off like it would with pox? So i don't waste money getting coryza medicine then finding out she doesn't have it?

she doesn't have any sneezing or nasal discharge, only the eye thing...

Well, I could be wrong but look in the table(s) here on facial swelling:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Cross reference here or on some other sites.

To me, Coryza seems like a general term for a cold or respiratory problem. Some people will want to debate me on it. Of course the chicken is a carrier but then I would think those pathogens are all over the place anyway. I wouldn't freak. I would treat her. If nothing else, a real good respiratory antibiotic (Denagard is one I heard recently but you may only be able to get it on line. There are others you can get locally). I am assuming antibiotic would be the course whichever disease you find listed at that link or elsewhere. Verify yourself don't take someone else's word for sure.

Sulmet has some antibiotic in it and is ideal for Coryza. It treats some other diseases as well. It's only a few bucks a bottle and it would be better to just get something going while investigating further. You can make a small batch and use a dropper on top of her beak if you have to. Get the Sulmet going and keep doing the research. If she starts to improve quickly you know you're on the right track. Personally, I think it's always worth pursuing and antibiotics won't hurt in either case.

Actually I went back to your first post and noted the foamy eye. Look at that previous link GOOD because now I'm wondering if it's more a complication of Mycoplasma They recommend antibiotics for this. Get a really good respiratory antibiotic if you think this is it. Now you know what to search on. Best of luck. I hope she does just fine!!!

"Mycoplasma gallisepticum

Synonyms: MG, chronic respiratory disease (CRD), infectious sinusitis, mycoplasmosis

Species affected: chickens, turkeys, pigeons, ducks, peafowl and passerine birds.

Clinical signs: Clinical symptoms vary slightly between species. Infected adult chickens may show no outward signs if infection is uncomplicated. However, sticky, serous exudate from nostrils, foamy exudate in eyes, and swollen sinuses can occur, especially in broilers. The air sacs may become infected. Infected birds can develop respiratory rales and sneeze. Affected birds are often stunted and unthrifty (see Table 1 ).

There are two forms of this disease in the turkey. With the "upper form" the birds have watery eyes and nostrils, the infraorbitals (just below the eye) become swollen, and the exudate becomes caseous and firm. The birds have respiratory rales and show unthriftiness.

With the "lower form", infected turkeys develop airsacculitis. As with chickens, birds can show no outward signs if the infection is uncomplicated. Thus, the condition may go unnoticed until the birds are slaughtered and the typical legions are seen. Birds with airsacculitis are condemned.

MG in chicken embryos can cause dwarfing, airsacculitis, and death.

Transmission: MG can be spread to offspring through the egg. Most commercial breeding flocks, however, are MG-free. Introduction of infected replacement birds can introduce the disease to MG-negative flocks. MG can also be spread by using MG-contaminated equipment.

Treatment : Outbreaks of MG can be controlled with the use of antibiotics. Erythromycin, tylosin, spectinomycin, and lincomycin all exhibit anti-mycoplasma activity and have given good results. Administration of most of these antibiotics can be by feed, water or injection. These are effective in reducing clinical disease. However, birds remain carriers for life.

Prevention: Eradication is the best control of mycoplasma disease. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors all participating chicken and turkey breeder flocks. "

her eye is worse today she can't really open it and her other eye has a pox mark showing up above her brow.
we keep putting cream on it...i'm really worried.
Is there anything else i can do for her?
I gave her scrambled eggs yesterday.
I don't want to lose my sakura!
hit.gif

Fowl pox can cause facial swelling. Given the fact that the previous owner stated the birds had fowl pox and that lesions are present on your bird...that is what you're dealing with. Since the lesions are close to the eyes, I recommend putting a dab of neosporin on them to prevent secondary eye infection, from possible eye scratching. Keep her seperated from the others and observe biosecurity. Time will heal.
If coryza is suspected, smell the head and nostril area for a foul odor...a dead giveaway for the disease. MG is CRD. You can pick her up and put your ear to her sides and listen for gurgling, rattling or wheezing. Other than normal gut noises, if you hear anything that I just mentioned, most likely it's MG.

Quote:
THANK YOU!
I don't think its coryza because she doesn't smell or have any other signs of ...well really anything.
Its just the eye problem. I first noticed it as yellowish kinda bumps then after i put the cream on and puss started to leak and bleed it then turned black.
Her nostrils are clear and her breathing is fine. Shes eating and drinking and her poo is normal.
hes been separated from the others but they were in a pen with her previously, because they came together.
Hopefully they didn't catch it from her and i haven't seen any signs.
I really do think its fowl pox and so does the vet i talked to about it, but its good to here confirmation from someone else because i don't want to be thinking its this and then for me to be wrong and for her to die.
I shouldn't use the neosporin with the pain killer right? would equate triple antibiotic cream work (neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfate and Bacitracin Zinc)?
Its like the equivalent to neosporin and from what i can see it has no painkiller in it.
She and the other new chickens are on tetracycline for any secondary infection.

Last edited:
Quote:
What does the vey say about fowl pox? Maybe you can just call and ask??

I had to tell him it was fowl pox.
I brought her to the vet before it progressed this far so it didn't really look like this when he saw her.
He said he's never seen it in chickens, just pigeon and other birds.
He told me there was not much i could but but make sure i put the cream on the pox so they turn black and to keep her comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom