Is This dry pox? eye is getting worse! cream not working, help! (PICS)

frow.gif

I wanted to mention that I've been in contact via email internet with folks from Madison, Guilford, Clinton, basically lower New Haven County and your County has a big outbreak of M.G./CRD. Where did these birds come from? Was it CT? I'm think it's Fowl Pox b/c if you didn't have any discharge and chirping noises then I'd say F.P. But, your location concerns me and since I do not know how long you've had them it could be possible the previous owner could have seen the nasal discharge, given a quick dose prior to selling and b/c the bird didn't get the full dosing needed to offset all the symptoms that could be why you do not see all of the symptoms. But, again if the chickens aren't from CT then I guess your back to like Dawg said if they had it, that should be a main concern.

Lastly, you are going to want to research online for your other flock that is healthy a fowl pox wing punch vaccine. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock and this will help your existing flock if it is indeed F.P.

Also, to sooth the eye discomfort you can use a used squeezed dry cooled off peppermint tea bag and put it gently on the eye. It helps with the swelling and goo.

Good luck I hope your baby sees improvement very soon!!
Quote:
THANK YOU!
I don't think its coryza because she doesn't smell or have any other signs of ...well really anything.
Its just the eye problem. I first noticed it as yellowish kinda bumps then after i put the cream on and puss started to leak and bleed it then turned black.
Her nostrils are clear and her breathing is fine. Shes eating and drinking and her poo is normal.
hes been separated from the others but they were in a pen with her previously, because they came together.
Hopefully they didn't catch it from her and i haven't seen any signs.
I really do think its fowl pox and so does the vet i talked to about it, but its good to here confirmation from someone else because i don't want to be thinking its this and then for me to be wrong and for her to die.
I shouldn't use the neosporin with the pain killer right? would equate triple antibiotic cream work (neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfate and Bacitracin Zinc)?
Its like the equivalent to neosporin and from what i can see it has no painkiller in it.
She and the other new chickens are on tetracycline for any secondary infection.

Last edited:
Beth G. :

frow.gif

I wanted to mention that I've been in contact via email internet with folks from Madison, Guilford, Clinton, basically lower New Haven County and your County has a big outbreak of M.G./CRD. Where did these birds come from? Was it CT? I'm think it's Fowl Pox b/c if you didn't have any discharge and chirping noises then I'd say F.P. But, your location concerns me and since I do not know how long you've had them it could be possible the previous owner could have seen the nasal discharge, given a quick dose prior to selling and b/c the bird didn't get the full dosing needed to offset all the symptoms that could be why you do not see all of the symptoms. But, again if the chickens aren't from CT then I guess your back to like Dawg said if they had it, that should be a main concern.

Lastly, you are going to want to research online for your other flock that is healthy a fowl pox wing punch vaccine. It can be purchased from Jefferslivestock and this will help your existing flock if it is indeed F.P.

Also, to sooth the eye discomfort you can use a used squeezed dry cooled off peppermint tea bag and put it gently on the eye. It helps with the swelling and goo.

Good luck I hope your baby sees improvement very soon!!
Quote:
THANK YOU!
I don't think its coryza because she doesn't smell or have any other signs of ...well really anything.
Its just the eye problem. I first noticed it as yellowish kinda bumps then after i put the cream on and puss started to leak and bleed it then turned black.
Her nostrils are clear and her breathing is fine. Shes eating and drinking and her poo is normal.
hes been separated from the others but they were in a pen with her previously, because they came together.
Hopefully they didn't catch it from her and i haven't seen any signs.
I really do think its fowl pox and so does the vet i talked to about it, but its good to here confirmation from someone else because i don't want to be thinking its this and then for me to be wrong and for her to die.
I shouldn't use the neosporin with the pain killer right? would equate triple antibiotic cream work (neomycin and polymyxin B Sulfate and Bacitracin Zinc)?
Its like the equivalent to neosporin and from what i can see it has no painkiller in it.
She and the other new chickens are on tetracycline for any secondary infection.

Thank you for your concern and information!
My new chickens were shipped from Florida.
They came from really reliable breeders and they take very good care of their chickens.
I think what happened is it must have been exposed to it some how but didn't show symptoms till the shipment stressed them out enough.
Because before the shipment she was fine and had none of these issues.
Luckily none of my other new chickens show any symptoms of anything.
They are all perky and happy little things.
I don't blame the breeder, these things happen and i'm happy i was able to find out what it was.
Atleast she will be immune once she gets over this :].

Now that i know there have been outbreaks where i live...i don't think i'll be buying any chickens around here anytime soon though
th.gif

I heard the vaccine is deadly if they have it....so i'm alittle scared to give it to the others if they have it but haven't shown symptoms yet.

Quote:
There really isn`t much you can do for this or any infected bird other than what you`re doing. You should however, keep a close eye on your other birds. If any show symptoms, get the vaccine and treat them right away. It will stop, or slow the spread and is cheap. Vets are useless in this regard, so save your money. Pox will run it`s course in a week or so and all will return to normal. Don`t stress out about it, it just happens, whether you live in the south, or the north.........Pop

I had fowl pox run through my flock a couple of years ago. Talked to the poultry extension vet at UF - he said vaccinate every chicken that is not showing signs. The virus will spread slowly through the flock. Mine all started with tearing eyes. Some developed dry pox and didn't need much TLC; others developed very bad wet pox and came in the house for nursing care and special feeding. All survived, but I'm sure a couple with the bad wet pox would not have without care. Even since then I have vaccinated all my chicks to prevent a repeat.

Here are photos of a couple of the birds in the early stages:

Note the bubbles in the fluid in the eye:
DSC_0484.jpg

These 2 were taken 24hrs after the initial tearing:
DSC_0487.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks so much for the photo's that definitely sounds/looks similar!
So your saying it would be safe to vaccinate my others? I'm just scared that the vaccine could hurt them if they already have it and i just don't know.
Where do i get the vaccine? how much is it?

Back
Top Bottom