Pics

Apartmentduck

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
So my first duckling has pipped internally and kept trying to do it in the wrong spot so I gave her a safety hole. After 18 hours of no change I widened it so I can get a better look of what’s going on inside. I only ever opened the incubator in the bathroom with the hot all the way on getting the humidity up to 99%. She’s still moving good and made a few chirps at me so I know she’s getting air. But the reason I was worried and made a viewing hole was because I saw how dry her membrane was and I got really worried. So is the duckling shrink wrapped or should I leave her alone and check in 24 hours?

Attachments

• 72379AAC-084E-4BDC-8C24-AA8A45FC5B54.jpeg
    72379AAC-084E-4BDC-8C24-AA8A45FC5B54.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 8E796AE9-E8FF-4416-AA2B-0422AA8F135F.jpeg
    8E796AE9-E8FF-4416-AA2B-0422AA8F135F.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 92
You can take some coconut oil and very gently paint the exposed membrane with a cotton swab to help ward off shrink wrapping. If you don't have coconut oil, some warm water (not much at all) will work to just moisten the membrane. I like to use coconut oil.
Be VERY careful because it looks like your duckling still has some time before it's ready to hatch. If those large veins were to rupture, that can be deadly

@DucksAreBest @Kiki

Um. That is way to high of humidity, first off. It does look weird.
I only let the humidity get that high in the bathroom while I open the incubator. Unfortunately I’ve had a lot of humidity problems because where I live the humidity it like 58% 70 is about as low as I can go unfortunately. She’s still moving good and making sounds though.

I'm hatching ducklings now too and I've got my humidity at 60%. Shrink wrapping will look brown and leathery. What day is this for your duckling
This is day 25 these crazy kids began to internally pip at day 22/23 and this is because my calibrated thermometer went haywire.

You can take some coconut oil and very gently paint the exposed membrane with a cotton swab to help ward off shrink wrapping. If you don't have coconut oil, some warm water (not much at all) will work to just moisten the membrane. I like to use coconut oil.
Be VERY careful because it looks like your duckling still has some time before it's ready to hatch. If those large veins were to rupture, that can be deadly
Yeah she does have awhile I was just worried about her getting stuck. She has a crazy shaped air cell so I was the most worried about her.

Back
Top Bottom