Pics

Apartmentduck

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
So my first duckling has pipped internally and kept trying to do it in the wrong spot so I gave her a safety hole. After 18 hours of no change I widened it so I can get a better look of what’s going on inside. I only ever opened the incubator in the bathroom with the hot all the way on getting the humidity up to 99%. She’s still moving good and made a few chirps at me so I know she’s getting air. But the reason I was worried and made a viewing hole was because I saw how dry her membrane was and I got really worried. So is the duckling shrink wrapped or should I leave her alone and check in 24 hours?

Attachments

• 72379AAC-084E-4BDC-8C24-AA8A45FC5B54.jpeg
    72379AAC-084E-4BDC-8C24-AA8A45FC5B54.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 8E796AE9-E8FF-4416-AA2B-0422AA8F135F.jpeg
    8E796AE9-E8FF-4416-AA2B-0422AA8F135F.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 91
You're welcome! I've been exactly where you are and it wasn't that long ago. I have fallen in love with Call Ducks and they're notoriously difficult to hatch because they have very short necks and bills. I've hatched many chickens but that was my first time with ducks. With the help of some amazing folks here, I hatched 4 adorable call ducks not very long ago. I've got Aztec Duck eggs that are almost ready to hatch now. They've all pipped internally and have safety holes. This breed is half Call Ducks so I'm anticipating them needing assistance but hopefully they'll do fine on their own. I am still very nervous but sometimes they don't make it in spite of our best efforts. That's heartbreaking so I can relate. We're doing the best we can and that's all we can do. You've got this! Try to sit back and relax (yes I know that's much easier said than done) let them finish everything they need to do before hatching and just be prepared in the chance they need assistance. I'd like to share the best article I've read about assisting. I've read this article so many times and will continue to read it before every hatch and again before I do any assisting.

Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry

There are so many here that will be happy to help or answer any questions that may come up. Feel free to ask. I can't wait to see pictures of your little ducklings!!!
One of my littles has hatched! How are your babies progressing?

Attachments

• 5D4E8C8C-36C0-43B3-ACD0-11595443C7DF.jpeg
    5D4E8C8C-36C0-43B3-ACD0-11595443C7DF.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 21
You can take some coconut oil and very gently paint the exposed membrane with a cotton swab to help ward off shrink wrapping. If you don't have coconut oil, some warm water (not much at all) will work to just moisten the membrane. I like to use coconut oil.
Be VERY careful because it looks like your duckling still has some time before it's ready to hatch. If those large veins were to rupture, that can be deadly

@FunnyfarmMidwest had an egg that tried to pip on the wrong end like this resulting in a bruise. I'm not sure if she found the bruise too late or not. She has experienced this though

@MGG has helped me get through many obstacles in hatching

@Pyxis wrote the article and will know what to do. She and @casportpony worked together on this I believe (at least she provided a lot of the pictures) and both of these ladies are incredibly busy and not available to reply often but maybe they'll have a moment to reply about this "early pip on the wrong end for a KC that resulted in a bruise"
I opened up on on a bruise on one because it was way below the air cell and low and behold there was a little beak waving at me now she’s is yawning and chewing. The other one with a smaller bruise I gave an air hole because it looks like air can get to that spot.

Thanks for the tag! So sorry I didn’t see a notification for this tag or I would have responded earlier. Yes I have experienced malpositioned ducklings many times. If I find a bruise on one of my eggs I always open the area over the bruise and make sure the duckling’s bill is exposed. I use a small drill bit and do a small hole (in the same manner as a safety hole) then I gently pick the shell away with some tweezers. I always refer to the article that Heather linked above. After I do this, I wait a while before assisting. I’ve noticed that my malpositioned ducklings have taken longer to absorb everything. Their internal pip and external pip occur at the same time so they need a bit more time than others.

edit: OP I see that you made a hole and got the duckling air! Great job! Hope you have a great hatch!
View attachment 2705129
here was one of mine:
One came out with this attached. I severed it because it was low enough to be a walking hazard and I didn’t want it to tip it’s own organs out.

Attachments

• A05D7A1E-FE10-40AB-9316-4ACFF7474927.jpeg
    A05D7A1E-FE10-40AB-9316-4ACFF7474927.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 25
His navel looks the same I’m worried he pulled it on the way out and that it could be intestines.
Most wait till the string attached to the navel is dry before clipping. You just place them on soft paper towels or soft washcloth in a cup or bowl and keep in the bator till the belly is completely closed up.

I didn’t know and read horror stories of them ripping intestines out by accident
That's why you place them in a cup or bowl that way that can't move around and pull on it. We're all learning ❤️
it's very hard work hatching hopefully by morning you'll see this one up and being energetic too.

Back
Top Bottom