Is this egg doomed? (photo)

Shoebox

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
Duck egg on day 19 (was candling to find a different egg that had gone bad and gotten smelly)

20230606_013308.jpg

I can see movement in the egg, but also noticed those 2 black spots that look like it's going bad. They didn't shift at all when I was turning the egg.

This batch of shipped eggs has been the worst I've ever incubated so I'm not surprised if there's yet another bad egg. I just wouldn't want to keep the poor thing in there to prolong the inevitable or have it potentially harm the other eggs. Should I "abort" it? :(

If it doesn't leak or stink, leave it in. However it doesn't look any where near 19 days of incubation.
The movement you see, is it on the dark mass (not the spots) when you aren't moving the egg?
Thank you, I'll leave it in then. And yes I set the egg on the candler and watched to be sure that the movement inside wasn't from the egg moving. The egg actually is mostly filled in, except for that lighter circle on the side where I saw the spots. Is that unusual? I'm not sure if it might be because the air cell is a bit saddled or some other issue since I don't recall seeing that happen before.

For future reference, will a bad egg always start stinking or leaking before it possibly explodes? I was always so worried about exploding bad eggs that I surely hope I've never actually tossed good ones trying to stay on the safe side. 😢

While unusual, there can be delays we don't know the cause of. It is rare though.
The air cell could easily be on the side of the egg.

To the best of my knowledge, exploders are from bad bacteria infecting the egg. If the egg is unwashed, the bloom protects it from intrusion of harmful bacteria. Abberations can always happen but it is rare for an egg protected by bloom to become infected and explode.

Perhaps there could be some kind of abrasion that removes bloom and bacteria can get into the pores and infectl

Back
Top Bottom