Is this even a chicken? Help with breed

crusting

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
I have had this one since it was 7 weeks old. Now it's 10 weeks old. I was told by the person I got her (?) from that the mother was a cross between silkie and "game bird" and the father was a rhode island red. I've been watching it grow and there seems to be absolutely no comb. It's just completely flat and black there. What does this mean? Is it a boy or girl? Is it even a chicken if it has no comb at all? Sorry I am ignorant and could use some help from all of you experienced chicken people! Thank you!
41645_dsc02860.jpg

41645_dsc02861.jpg

Note, these pictures were taken right after I got it. It's a little bigger now and feathers are a little poofier, but still looks basically the same. Sorry I keep saying "it" too--I don't know if it's a she or he (but hoping for a she).

It's a bird alright. Not sure what you will end up with at complete maturity - I think "she" is pretty. Sounds like a pullet to me with no comb development at all. Love the color of the legs.. somewhat indicates a colored egg layer sort of bird. Pretty head!

My silkie crosses have very small black combs. One of them is basically flat, and the other is nubby ( maybe walnut??) but both extremely small and black. This is the nubbiest one, the other oen is flatter:
85560_imag0286.jpg

85560_imag0289.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting....I have a barnyard mix that has a comb exactly like you are describing. I don't see any other silkie qualities to her and she is a standard size hen but I've always kind of wondered why her comb is flat and black:
38935_img_5496.jpg

Quote:
Silkies should have a dark mulberry colored comb and should be shaped like a walnut. The pullets would have a small dark flat or sometimes even little bumb where the comb is. That would explain the combs you guys are seeing.

Back
Top Bottom