Is this even a chicken? Help with breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crusting, Nov 20, 2011.

1. crusting

crusting Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2009
    I have had this one since it was 7 weeks old. Now it's 10 weeks old. I was told by the person I got her (?) from that the mother was a cross between silkie and "game bird" and the father was a rhode island red. I've been watching it grow and there seems to be absolutely no comb. It's just completely flat and black there. What does this mean? Is it a boy or girl? Is it even a chicken if it has no comb at all? Sorry I am ignorant and could use some help from all of you experienced chicken people! Thank you!
    Note, these pictures were taken right after I got it. It's a little bigger now and feathers are a little poofier, but still looks basically the same. Sorry I keep saying "it" too--I don't know if it's a she or he (but hoping for a she).
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    It does look like a Pullet.
  3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    It's a bird alright. Not sure what you will end up with at complete maturity - I think "she" is pretty. Sounds like a pullet to me with no comb development at all. Love the color of the legs.. somewhat indicates a colored egg layer sort of bird. Pretty head!
  4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

It's a pullet and the mix sounds possible. [​IMG]
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    It's a silkie mix for sure. It does appear to be a pullet, too.
  6. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    My silkie crosses have very small black combs. One of them is basically flat, and the other is nubby ( maybe walnut??) but both extremely small and black. This is the nubbiest one, the other oen is flatter:
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yep, looks like a silkie mix and a pullet.
  8. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Really pretty girl you have there....
  9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Interesting....I have a barnyard mix that has a comb exactly like you are describing. I don't see any other silkie qualities to her and she is a standard size hen but I've always kind of wondered why her comb is flat and black:
  10. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Quote:Silkies should have a dark mulberry colored comb and should be shaped like a walnut. The pullets would have a small dark flat or sometimes even little bumb where the comb is. That would explain the combs you guys are seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by