Chickie_Momma_91

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
I got these babes 6 days ago in the evening. They haven’t had a roo since being here but had one at their old home. I have an incubator arriving tomorrow. So far I’ve only got one egg that hasn’t been refrigerated. I want to hatch out babes as I can’t have another roo so won’t be getting a bantam Cochin for them but they’ve been with one. I read a good post on hatching but was left with questions in regards to storing the eggs and how to make sure they are fertilized. How long can I collect/store eggs before putting in incubator? Can I use the one that’s been in my fridge a few days? Is this egg fertilized and ready to be a baby? The incubator holds 12 eggs and I’ve got 2 ladies and would like to put as many as possible in
51FEDAEB-DE4F-4266-8E43-F757C754015C.jpeg
C73BF7AA-AB34-4276-A239-75C0A2D43970.jpeg

I got these babes 6 days ago in the evening. They haven’t had a roo since being here but had one at their old home. I have an incubator arriving tomorrow. So far I’ve only got one egg that hasn’t been refrigerated. I want to hatch out babes as I can’t have another roo so won’t be getting a bantam Cochin for them but they’ve been with one. I read a good post on hatching but was left with questions in regards to storing the eggs and how to make sure they are fertilized. How long can I collect/store eggs before putting in incubator? Can I use the one that’s been in my fridge a few days? Is this egg fertilized and ready to be a baby? The incubator holds 12 eggs and I’ve got 2 ladies and would like to put as many as possible in View attachment 2802721View attachment 2802722
I collect eggs for 2-3 days before putting them in the incubator but the temperature here is pleasant 27C. I have never incubated refrigerated eggs but know people who do so and the eggs have hatched.... Yes that egg looks fertilized.😊😊

Do you store them any specific way?
Check out this post: https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/storing-fertile-eggs.html

That is the *ideal* way to store them, but as mentioned, some folks have had success with refrigerated eggs.

With that said, a hen's fertility goes down rapidly after 7 days since last being mated. I waited 7 days before collecting eggs to ensure an old rooster's sperm had not fertilized my purebred hens, and I hatched 12 eggs, not a one of them were fathered by the old rooster, so he's sperm had completely left her system. Your window is fast closing on egg fertility!

Check out this post: https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/storing-fertile-eggs.html

That is the *ideal* way to store them, but as mentioned, some folks have had success with refrigerated eggs.

With that said, a hen's fertility goes down rapidly after 7 days since last being mated. I waited 7 days before collecting eggs to ensure an old rooster's sperm had not fertilized my purebred hens, and I hatched 12 eggs, not a one of them were fathered by the old rooster, so he's sperm had completely left her system. Your window is fast closing on egg fertility!
Yes! This is why I want to collect what I can and see if I can hatch from fridge. I’ve got 2 from today (essentially day 5 since being with a roo) and want to use as many as I can from the first 7 days since being with a roo.

Back
Top Bottom