Is this foul pox? or favus ? or both?.. plss help im confused

Sheryl-02

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Today i just noticed that under my rooster's comb there is a white scab? its huge and i have searched it up but not seen anything like this. and there is also black scabs on top of his comb which again i didn't paid attention to my chicken and now im finally noticing after searching up foul pox that it might be that.. and if you look at the earlobe it got that white flour stuff and that makes me think that its favus.. and whats that scab thing on tip of his comb? and lastly is his face swollen ? or am i just getting paranoid at this point.. im so disappointed at myself for not noticing it sooner.. its nothing serious right? im mostly worried about that huge white scab thingy cause idk what that is and i have not seen it before..
IMG_20200503_185647.jpg
IMG_20200503_185827.jpg
IMG_20200503_185902.jpg
IMG_20200503_185939.jpg
IMG_20200503_190244.jpg

The black marks look like peck marks, and the tip is either that also or a bit of an injury, I would just leave them alone. I don't see any obvious swelling of the face, and it doesn't look like favus to me either, or fowl pox. Fowl pox lesions usually start out a bit pale and blistery looking and then harden and darken as they dry up. Have you tried cleaning off the gob under the comb? I would try some wet compresses and some ointment to see if it will soften up and come off. Does it feel hard, or soft and moveable? Since his comb flops over that way I'm just wondering if some gunk has built up from being stuck in there. The comb looks a bit dry, so you can apply some coconut oil to it which won't hurt anything. If it were to get worse and you suspected favus, then you can use an over the counter antifungal like monistat or lotrimin and apply a couple of times a day.
Pictures below of an example of favus, and the second of fowl pox.
favus.jpg

fowlpox1.jpg

Looks swollen to me.
I wonder if that lump wasn't escaped chicken pus,it did look alot like the dark part of bumblefoot plugs iv'e removed.
Update: after using the cream once everyday the lump finally fell off on its own.
i didn't notice at first but is the middle area swollen? and the earlobe still has that white powder sprinkled on it..View attachment 2137295

There does look to be a little swelling, so it may have been pus. I would keep an eye on it. It could have been an injury that went unnoticed since the comb lays over it. At the very front of the swelling, where the lump was, there appears to be depression, or hole? You might try some warm, wet compresses (since soaking a comb would be difficult) and see if you can try to squeeze anything out of there. If there is pus in there, then just like bumblefoot, it will have to come out before it can heal.
I don't think the white on the ear is anything to be worried about. Just looks like some pigment. Some birds have white earlobes, some have red, many will have spots of white.

It could be pecking by hens. Are the roo's separated by just fence or wire, or is there space between enclosures? Sometimes they will 'fence fight' and get hurt that way. They can get cuts and scratches on the combs lots of ways, running into something, putting heads through fencing or wire, on feeders and waterers, etc. They are very small and minor looking in your pictures, so I wouldn't worry too much. Comb injuries usually heal up well. If you ever have one that's injured that bleeds a lot, and combs can bleed a lot if cut, then you can stop it with pressure or some cornstarch applied to it. I am curious if you are able to remove the large lump on the side of the comb and what it turns out to be.

I would try to soften it first. Either an ointment like neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment would stay on there, or even vaseline or vegetable oil. Work it around the thing and let it sit, see if it softens up some.

Try both lol!
It isn't any different than popping something on yourself.
If nothing comes out put some antibiotic ointment on the area and keep an eye on it. :)
I hope it turns out to be nothing, but i will try it
and again i will update you tomorrow or when its done
thank you.

Edit: umm i should squeeze the swollen part right or the area around it? and if nothing comes out then i should just leave it right?

From this angle it doesn't appear swollen like in the other picture. It may just be the way the comb is formed that makes it look that way. And since it flops over that way it could have just been gunk that got stuck under there and built up, kind of like when they get mudballs on their feet, which can also cause little pockets like that to form around the stuff. I think I would just keep an eye on it for awhile, check under that floppy part periodically and clean it if necessary. If there were pus in there I think you would be able to feel it, like a hard lump different than the rest of the comb.

Since nothing appears open, the ointment probably isn't necessary. I wouldn't cut a comb unless absolutely necessary, the bleeding would be a lot. I would just keep an eye on it, and clean it if needed. If it gets worse, swells or looks irritated, then you can reassess.

Since nothing appears open, the ointment probably isn't necessary. I wouldn't cut a comb unless absolutely necessary, the bleeding would be a lot. I would just keep an eye on it, and clean it if needed. If it gets worse, swells or looks irritated, then you can reassess.

Thanks a lot for helping me i will make sure to check on it time to time
and if anything else comes up i will give update on it
till then bye-bye

Back
Top Bottom