Is this foul pox? or favus ? or both?.. plss help im confused

Sheryl-02

Chirping
May 3, 2020
Today i just noticed that under my rooster's comb there is a white scab? its huge and i have searched it up but not seen anything like this. and there is also black scabs on top of his comb which again i didn't paid attention to my chicken and now im finally noticing after searching up foul pox that it might be that.. and if you look at the earlobe it got that white flour stuff and that makes me think that its favus.. and whats that scab thing on tip of his comb? and lastly is his face swollen ? or am i just getting paranoid at this point.. im so disappointed at myself for not noticing it sooner.. its nothing serious right? im mostly worried about that huge white scab thingy cause idk what that is and i have not seen it before..
IMG_20200503_185647.jpg
IMG_20200503_185827.jpg
IMG_20200503_185902.jpg
IMG_20200503_185939.jpg
IMG_20200503_190244.jpg

And if you could share this with someone that might know about this then that will be a great help.

The black marks look like peck marks, and the tip is either that also or a bit of an injury, I would just leave them alone. I don't see any obvious swelling of the face, and it doesn't look like favus to me either, or fowl pox. Fowl pox lesions usually start out a bit pale and blistery looking and then harden and darken as they dry up. Have you tried cleaning off the gob under the comb? I would try some wet compresses and some ointment to see if it will soften up and come off. Does it feel hard, or soft and moveable? Since his comb flops over that way I'm just wondering if some gunk has built up from being stuck in there. The comb looks a bit dry, so you can apply some coconut oil to it which won't hurt anything. If it were to get worse and you suspected favus, then you can use an over the counter antifungal like monistat or lotrimin and apply a couple of times a day.
Pictures below of an example of favus, and the second of fowl pox.
favus.jpg

fowlpox1.jpg

The black marks look like peck marks, and the tip is either that also or a bit of an injury, I would just leave them alone. I don't see any obvious swelling of the face, and it doesn't look like favus to me either, or fowl pox. Fowl pox lesions usually start out a bit pale and blistery looking and then harden and darken as they dry up. Have you tried cleaning off the gob under the comb? I would try some wet compresses and some ointment to see if it will soften up and come off. Does it feel hard, or soft and moveable? Since his comb flops over that way I'm just wondering if some gunk has built up from being stuck in there. The comb looks a bit dry, so you can apply some coconut oil to it which won't hurt anything. If it were to get worse and you suspected favus, then you can use an over the counter antifungal like monistat or lotrimin and apply a couple of times a day.
Pictures below of an example of favus, and the second of fowl pox.

But the thing is we have 2 roosters and they're both separated they're never together so i don't know about pecking one? does it just suddenly happens? and thank you very much i really appreciate you replying.

It could be pecking by hens. Are the roo's separated by just fence or wire, or is there space between enclosures? Sometimes they will 'fence fight' and get hurt that way. They can get cuts and scratches on the combs lots of ways, running into something, putting heads through fencing or wire, on feeders and waterers, etc. They are very small and minor looking in your pictures, so I wouldn't worry too much. Comb injuries usually heal up well. If you ever have one that's injured that bleeds a lot, and combs can bleed a lot if cut, then you can stop it with pressure or some cornstarch applied to it. I am curious if you are able to remove the large lump on the side of the comb and what it turns out to be.

yeah they have there own space to run around, we have iron fencing if you think it could be because of that? and also we don't have any hens we just got these 2 rooster as baby chicks years ago. btw the favus and foul pox don't spread to other chickens that are close by right?

and i will make sure to check that lump/scab thingy today after work and update you on that
thank you again for replying
i feel much better now

update: i tried slowly removing it but the lump is like stuck on the skin and it got that scab like feeling should i just pull it off? or use something to soften it like you mentioned earlier?
IMG_20200504_212618.jpg

I would try to soften it first. Either an ointment like neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment would stay on there, or even vaseline or vegetable oil. Work it around the thing and let it sit, see if it softens up some.

I would try to soften it first. Either an ointment like neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment would stay on there, or even vaseline or vegetable oil. Work it around the thing and let it sit, see if it softens up some.

thank you i shall try it tomorrow and update you on it when its done or if something else comes up thank you once again =)

Update: after using the cream once everyday the lump finally fell off on its own.
i didn't notice at first but is the middle area swollen? and the earlobe still has that white powder sprinkled on it..
IMG_20200512_193000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom