Is this fowl pox? How do I treat this? (pics)

The pictures are still pretty blurry so I hope I'm not misinterpreting them, but it looks like frost bite to me. See that line of white that goes across the bottom of all of his comb sprigs, with blackening on top of the sprigs? It looks like the sprigs are a bit swollen too. It looks like his wattles also got bit. There is some blackening and it also looks like there is some swelling.

Not sure why that blob of frostbite in the front that goes down to his nostrils - could he have wet the front of his comb drinking from the waterer? Is there a lot of humidity in the coop?

I am not really seeing any humidity, I have a heat lamp to take the chill off and I am using the deep litter method, but i have been opening up the door and letting them run around in the day time. I put vet balm on him. He is not with another rooster. I will keep a close eye on him and keep him in the coop for a few days, he has 7 hens with him and they are all ok.

I am also not sure how to "see" humidity at this time of year. There is a sort of running debate on draft free vs ventilation, but I don't really know where I sit on that yet. How DOES one know when there is too much humidity in a coop when temps are single digits?

When did it start??? It has been COLD COLD here in southern Ohio...

-17 wind chill two nights ago...This morning was 5 not sure the wind chill been like this for several days...

It looks like whatever it is has been bleeding, and the blood maybe plugging is nostrils making him open mouth breath. Can you bring him inside and using warm water on a washcloth wipe his nose and scabs and clean them. You might need to use a tweezers if there are crusts going into the nostrils.

There shouldn't really be any debate at all on draft free vs. ventilation. Ideally, ventilation is essentially a big hole at the highest part of the coop. This should not cause a draft on the birds because air exchange happens at the hole, both in and out. There might very well be a draft on the birds from leaving a door or window open, or big gaps around a door, things like that. It just depends on your setup. In a small, short coop in a cold climate, though, it can be quite difficult to prevent the ventilation from causing a draft on the birds, especially if they are roosting right below it. One of a bunch of reasons we keep reading on here, build bigger than you think you need.

How do you know there is too much humidity is not as easy to answer. If you ever see any condensation in there, it is too high. If you ever smell ammonia or mustiness, it is probably too high. Frostbite in temps above zero, or not too far below, is a good clue. You can buy hygrometers but they are notoriously inaccurate; there is a way (that I don't know) to calibrate them.

Once again I will link the expert on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Last edited by a moderator:
My coop is a truck cap with pallet sides and a real Human front door, the windows roll out so that is my ventilation. I have not seen any moisture so I assumed that if I did it would be to much humidity. I did find a spot of blood on a home made feeder that I made out of pvc pipe, I sanded it down really smooth and I must of missed a spot. I am starting to wonder if he cut it there and when he was out side he drank out of the duck pool and since it was cold it froze. I did clean it off and yes it was blood. I put some more vet balm on it and will keep him in the coop. This is my first year ever with ducks and birds. Learning so much, mostly enjoying it, I just do not like to see any one injured. Thanks for all the info, I will keep everyone posted

Back
Top Bottom