Is this fowl pox?

Mine have come down with dry fowl pox too. Seems all mine have it to some extent.From research I've done there is a vaccine but you shouldn't give it to already sick birds. You can vaccinate all birds not showing symptoms. The major danger is from secondary infections. Plenty of greens, antibiotics and electrolytes to help them fight off any other infections is the best course of action along with the iodine on the actual sores. My question is if you do give antibiotics can you use the eggs and if not for how long?

I came to look about the black spots since my laying hens have started showing these black spots on the combs. I have a T shaped run with the straight part of the T being divided into two separate areas by chicken fencing. The layers are on one side, and then I have some Silkies on the other, and the top of the T is also a Silkie area. Are the Silkies at risk because of the layers on the one side? Should I vaccinate all the Silkies? This is the dry form from what I can see, and it only appears to be in the comb or side of the beak. I don't think any Silkies have it, but it looks like nearly all the layers have it. I am also in SC, so I am interested in how the original flock of this thread did. I am not sure what to do! I have never had to vaccinate the chickens and I would hate to do it, unless it would save their lives. The chickens share a coop, but the layers are "upstairs" and the Silkies are below (think kids fort with floors), so they don't come into contact with each other, but it is the same coop. I would appreciate any help you can give! Thanks!

Some people vaccinate but I do not. I am just going to let it run through mine and be done with it. There was someone on BYC that is from FL also that decided to vaccinate because, I believe, hers had the wet version and it was really bad. You should do a search on here and read some of the posts to get an idea of what you prefer to do.

Some people vaccinate but I do not. I am just going to let it run through mine and be done with it. There was someone on BYC that is from FL also that decided to vaccinate because, I believe, hers had the wet version and it was really bad. You should do a search on here and read some of the posts to get an idea of what you prefer to do.
I am trying to read the threads and see. I don't think they have the wet at all. If they did, I think I would vaccinate all unaffected, but since it's dry I am leaning toward not. I just wondered if they able to spread it through a fence. Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it.

I am trying to read the threads and see. I don't think they have the wet at all. If they did, I think I would vaccinate all unaffected, but since it's dry I am leaning toward not. I just wondered if they able to spread it through a fence. Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate it.
I've read it spreads not only by mosquitos but also by scabs (or something) dropping from infected birds. For me, surrounded by swampy land, it is a moot point as the mosquitos are horrendous this year.

I have had an outbreak of fowl pox. We had around 200 chickens. With the heat and the pox we are down to around 100. My hens have all stopped laying. Will they eventually start laying again after the outbreak leaves? Or is the laying issue simply because of the heat? I haven't gotten more than a few eggs in over a month. I am beginning to get worried.

I have a question about fowl pox. If your birds have it and recover - do they remain carriers? Would you need to keep a closed flock or can you sell hatching eggs/chicks/chickens? Thank you!

Excuse my typos. Sent from my iPhone.

I have a question about fowl pox. If your birds have it and recover - do they remain carriers? Would you need to keep a closed flock or can you sell hatching eggs/chicks/chickens? Thank you!
Excuse my typos. Sent from my iPhone.
No it kinda acts like people pox. Once it's gone it's over.

I have had an outbreak of fowl pox. We had around 200 chickens. With the heat and the pox we are down to around 100. My hens have all stopped laying. Will they eventually start laying again after the outbreak leaves? Or is the laying issue simply because of the heat? I haven't gotten more than a few eggs in over a month. I am beginning to get worried.

Oh that is horrible! Do they have wet pox or dry? I thought the dry pox wasn't deadly usually. The only thing I might suggest would be to add electrolytes to the water to help them with the heat. It might make a difference if heat is the determining factor that's tipping the scales in the wrong direction.

Great pictures and now I know my hens don't have pox. They do have black posts on their combs that look like frostbite except I noticed it a few weeks ago and it's summer so that it's it. Its the RIR's that have very large "double"? combs and Buff Orps. has the same spots to a lesser degree. The skin isn't scaly or inflamed at all and there aren't any signs of illness, Could it be normal pigmentation?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom