Is this fowl pox?

Hi Im from natal South Africa and have just had a very wet spring. Three of my five week old lavender pekins developed pox. It was my first time dealing with it so ive found this forum very helpful. My chickens are completely free range in my garden, so when my one little hen now called 'spot' eye swelled shut she could not follow her mum anymore and was left behind. she also just sat and slept much of the time, became pale and had trouble feeding because she could not see well. A friend warned me that one of two things are going to happen, she is either going to stumble and drown in the pool or a hawk is going to grab her so I might as well do her in now and get it over with. So after my vet advised me that it would clear I decided to baby her for a week to make sure she ate and drank and was safe. it is now ten days later and the pox is almost clear and her colour has returned. I now have a very tame little baby that follows me everywhere even in the house and will come sit on my lap when i sit down. She even 'cuddles' against me and goes to sleep. I am so glad that with a little patience and some dilute betadine swabs I now have the sweetest hen ever. I normally sell my lavender chicks but she is going to stay. Many german farmers in the area suggested I put black shoe polish on the spots. I never did, but has anyone else heard of this? Sounds very odd to me.

Just checking in. I lost the one hen and the group next to them (my hens are in moveable coups of small groups) got a lesser version and no other hens have gotten ill. I continue to put Braggs aple cider vinegar to keep their immune and digestive systems strong. Once every 3 -4 weeks. We have enetered into our rainy season and will keep close eye on them. I also am mowing the tall grass before I move them onto it. Right now the grass grows 2 feet a week. I did not use the tetracycline except for day one. It is kinda of my first line of defense and It think I would use Bacitracin next as my cousin who is a dermatologist has a strong preference for it over Neosporin. I also look at my girls a little closer now.

My flock came down with this last summer (dry pox). After doing some BYC research, I simply let it be. It's almost a naturally occuring condition - not really a disease, just an irritation more than anything. I just noticed this morning a couple of my roosters are coming down with another case. No worries - should resolve itself in a few weeks without any treatment necessary.

Does this look like fowl pox? she has it next to her eye and on the skin where the beak meets the skin. she seems healthy so i'm not sure

Back
Top Bottom