Is this fowl pox?

Thank you for all your information. It seems I have been having the same thing. I saw one hen drooping on her roost this am I removerd her and saw all have the spots. I thought they were pecking each other. I worry she will not make it she is having labored breathing. Will move them into a more airy spot but am worried as they wer so healthy. Thank you again BYC. Helped me with my last group that had cocci and they also had pox. So now my new hens have and I think my old girls may not fair so well if they get it. I am keeping them away from the rest of my girls.

THIS IS WHAT MY TURKEYS HAVE---i HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEND PHOTOS. SOMEONE WROTE THAT THE BLACK ONES ARE SCABBING AND WILL FALL OFF. IF ANOTHER BIRD EATS THE SCAB, IT WILL GET THE POX. lAST NIGHT i tried to clean off the yellow part of a couple very close to my turkey's eyes, it is keeping them from seeing. They are protecting and truly helping each other. I put tetracycline in the water, and won;t eat the eggs, because of that.... I don;t like using antibiotics but from the info posted, it will help fight off a second infection.i also fought them to put neosporon on as many spots as I could... I feel better. i am so sorry- it's terrible isn;'t it. You're doesn;t seem as bad as mine are.

ps--- I cleaned out all the water conteiners and scrubbed with bleach, on recommendation. We're in tennessee- very humid and we had lots of bugs around recently, when we had a warm snap.

I also moved the hens , they each jumped to the perch to allow me to apply the neosporin. I believe it protects from bacterial invasion when hen is in a immunosuppressed state. Pox is a virus so doesn't do anything for that. I realize how fragile the girls can be. I lost the one and the others are well. It may have spread in a weaker state to my other hens but I am thankful.

Dear All,

I would recommend to use a Homeopathic medicine Variolinum 30. few drops in 1 cup of water. A single dose will arrest the virus.Give to all birds as a vaccine. If the pox are wet use antibiotic to stop secondry infection. repeat for three days and you will see the results. Tried and tested with very positive results.

RM

Um actually if i may chime in i spoke to an avian vet today because i was thinking of vaccinating my flock as they have pox too due to wet and mozzies. she said that pox is not like human chicken pox they do not develop an immunity so u have to vaccinate every year if u live in an area where mozzies are rife!

Um actually if i may chime in i spoke to an avian vet today because i was thinking of vaccinating my flock as they have pox too due to wet and mozzies. she said that pox is not like human chicken pox they do not develop an immunity so u have to vaccinate every year if u live in an area where mozzies are rife!
That goes contrary to what all other info says. Do you know where she got that from?

i didnt think to ask truthfully
i think the issue with pox is that there are a variety of strains so the birds wouldn't necessarily be immune to all once they have had one
i am also not sure how many strains are present in the vacine either
food for thought

i didnt think to ask truthfully
i think the issue with pox is that there are a variety of strains so the birds wouldn't necessarily be immune to all once they have had one
i am also not sure how many strains are present in the vacine either
food for thought
Mine had the version last year that was just the moldy looking patches on the comb and wattles. This year the new birds had a more horrid version, but still a dry version. THey had lumps on their beaks and legs. If the bump on the beak was picked off or got knocked off it left a hole underneath. They felt worse and some went off their feed. None died but I had to hand feed them till they became interested in feed again. My mom's had a version that made lumps all over the head, face and beak. The poor thing also was dizzy. I wondered if it was in her ears. Everyone recovered. It will be interesting to see what happens next year. The only new birds I have are two o shamo. I will pay attention and see if there are any repeats. Very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom