Is this fowl pox?

Fowl pox isnt transmittable to humans, eggs are safe to eat. Most of my birds have been through dry pox and are immune to that particular strain. I didnt give my birds any antibiotics nor vaccinations. Fowl pox is a virus and antibiotics dont treat virusus. Even if vaccinated, the eggs are safe to eat.
As far as cocci is concerned, there are 9 types of cocci. Corid treats all 9 types and isnt harsh on the chickens system like sulmet. Sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci and there's a 10 day withdrawal period. There isnt a withdrawal period after using corid.

Last edited:
All ckickens alive still. On our way to get Corid at a vet supply an hour away. We will keep you posted. Thank you so much for all your help. We appreciate it.

We are all doing really good. Got the first dose in them this am. Also gave some cottage cheese and 2 old tomato plants and still have the fan going under the house for some extra air for them and fresh limed the ground and raked it all before putting in the tomato. I have noticed a marked improvement in the poop. No blood and only one that was runny, all the rest were well formed. I had been putting little bleach and 1/4c ACV in 1 gal of water and a touch of oil for the crop (with the chest puffing) since Tuesday. The acv, etc. must have helped a bit since the improvement could not be since I gave the meds at 11 cst.

Do I just give the Corid in the water now? I would like to keep the oil since some chests still puffed.

DONT give them oil, bleach, nor ACV in corid treated water. That concoction can do more harm than good. When you're finished treating your birds per instructions in post #22, you can put 2 tablespoons of ACV per gallon of water out for your birds to drink...nothing else is needed in the water.

Glad to find this thread. I live at a rental property in upstate SC and integrated my hens (1yr) with the existing flock (3+yr) when I moved in a few months ago. I just discovered one of my hens covered in lesions and another with an erupting outbreak. We are in a heavily mosquito-infested area and the older hens that have lived on this property for years show no symptoms - I'm guessing they've already had pox and are now immune to it. Will proceed by treating combs with iodine, and treating the water with electrolytes and possibly garlic.

I did lose one of my hens last week, and am now wondering if she may have had pox as well... landlord had her bagged in the trash before I knew what had happened. However, she had become very skinny and I had not noticed lesions on her comb the previous day. Could she have had wet pox while the others contracted dry pox?

Glad to find this thread. I live at a rental property in upstate SC and integrated my hens (1yr) with the existing flock (3+yr) when I moved in a few months ago. I just discovered one of my hens covered in lesions and another with an erupting outbreak. We are in a heavily mosquito-infested area and the older hens that have lived on this property for years show no symptoms - I'm guessing they've already had pox and are now immune to it. Will proceed by treating combs with iodine, and treating the water with electrolytes and possibly garlic.

I did lose one of my hens last week, and am now wondering if she may have had pox as well... landlord had her bagged in the trash before I knew what had happened. However, she had become very skinny and I had not noticed lesions on her comb the previous day. Could she have had wet pox while the others contracted dry pox?
It's possible she couldve had wet pox, unable to swallow feed causing her to lose weight and basically die of starvation.

Thank you very much for your help with this. If you can try to answer one last question for us, I need to know when we can begin eating the eggs after d/c the corid. We stopped that this past Friday 8/3. I thought it was two weeks but I cannot find where I read that. Our 11 survivors look and act great but egg production is off. We did get our first white egg today so we are hoping it will continue to improve. Thank you, again. Your knowledge was invaluable to us.

Thank you very much for your help with this. If you can try to answer one last question for us, I need to know when we can begin eating the eggs after d/c the corid. We stopped that this past Friday 8/3. I thought it was two weeks but I cannot find where I read that. Our 11 survivors look and act great but egg production is off. We did get our first white egg today so we are hoping it will continue to improve. Thank you, again. Your knowledge was invaluable to us.
There is no egg withdrawal with corid, the eggs are safe to eat.

Back
Top Bottom