Is this Frizzle a Rooster or Hen?

vintagepastime

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Bantam Cochin Frizzle Pullet or Roo? "She" is 4 months old and has NOT attempted to crow or jump on any other bird. Acts like a hen :) No aggression to other chicks/chickens, Very skittish around us. Wish she wouldn't be so scared of me, though! Gets along with other hens, is at the bottom of the pecking order in a very small flock of Cochins and Silkies. The red comb and wattles came on fast, making me think she might bust out a crow at any moment. Obviously I hope this little white frizzle is a hen, as we cannot have a rooster. I have been wondering about this one since the day we brought her home at 10 days old ;) Please tell me if you think "she" is a boy or girl? Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Frizzles can be tricky, but I see the hackle and saddle feathers indicative of rooster. If you can straighten out the hackle feathers and compare them to its other feathers, you'll notice how thin and narrow they are.

Also, in the second pic, there is a Silkie that is most likely going to cause a lot of trouble and as a favor to you I'll come pick it up next week.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Wow, pretty! She has hardly any comb at all. I suppose most think its a ROO? I thought they would be trying to crow by now! Thank you!

HAha! Oh sure... those trouble making Silkies!
roll.png

I wonder when they usually start crowing... I suppose I should start planning its re-homing.
D.gif

Thanks for your post!!

My pullet, Sara, started crowing at 10 weeks......
Body posture says Roooy to me... could be a couple of weeks still before you hear him\her crocking errr crowning.

Shouldn't have an issue getting rid of that beautiful boy. (if you don't want or can't keep him)

Last edited:
Wow, pretty! She has hardly any comb at all. I suppose most think its a ROO? I thought they would be trying to crow by now! Thank you!
Mine has a very tiny comb for some odd reason. Yours has a tiny comb too. I'd wait until you see an egg or hear a crow if you decide to rehome a roo. Yours stands like a girl. Very low set from my point of view. You have a tricky one for sure. I'd love to have an all white frizzle. Somehow mines a mix straight from the hatchery. I'm not sure if mines a full Cochin, she's awfully small for being a standard size and her color was suppose to be splash. My poor Cochin is at the bottom of the pecking order and has to wear a saddle I made her.

TURNS OUT HE IS A ROOSTER! Just started crowing last week...at someone else's place. Thank you for everyone's input, it helped me to realize it was a boy and I finally gave him to the right place so he didn't start upsetting neighbors here. Surprise Surprise...

Back
Top Bottom