Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
here are two of my pullets, is this frostbite? doesn't seem to bother them-
if it is, how do i treat it?

IMG_1791.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

I would say yes but not an expert but looks like my roos and hens. I think I read that there is not much you can do about it.

I think so a few of mine got it this year. Don't worry sometime there is not a lot you can do. I have 6 heat lamps and a nice coop. You can only do so much.

Brian

You do indeed have frost bite but not very severe. I'm posting a picture of a Welsummer rooster that was frostbitten last winter. Everything black and above atrophied and sloughed off. He wound up looking as those he had be dubbed. Once the comb or wattle has become black there isn't much that can be done.
10233_rooster_017.jpg

At this point there really isn't much you can do. You might want to keep any eye on him and watch how he interacts with the other birds. As the comb starts to slough off they my start pecking at the hanging pieces.

As Opa said, just watch it. Want to make sure infection doesn't set in as the tissue dies and falls off. Watch for swelling around the frostbitten areas, signs of him feeling sick/off, etc. I had a couple roos this winter w/frostbite and they're slowing losing their black bits w/out any adverse-appearing signs. They have continued to act just fine, but when I was a kid, our roo's waddle got all swollen with infection when his got frostbitten, so it can happen.

Its not very cold down here so we don't see much frostbite but i say if its not severe or hurting the chickens leave it be and let nature run its course however......if the chickens seem in pain get help ,even ask a vet most frostbite cases should be alike in most fowl
hugs.gif

Last spring I closely watched my frostbitten rooster. I had thought that since I put Udder Balm on his comb and wattles I might avoid frost bite. Then the black line on his comb appeared. As the weather warmed I watched everything that was black and all above atrophy. After a coupld of weeks the affected area started drying out and shrinking. A couple of weeks later all of that started dropping off and for several days hung in strips from his head. Finally his once beautiful comb was reduced to looking like he had been dubbed or at the very least like he had a pea comb. I have heard people claim that frostbite can affect their fertility but it never affected his.

Back
Top Bottom