Is this frostbite??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Fancypants1, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    I am new to chickens and was wondering if this is the start of frostbite or a normal colored comb and waddle? White spots that is......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like dry skin. You can use a moisturing cream or ointment and rub it in. Someone posted on another thread that jojoba is very good at absorbing and not being greasy. A large chaulky white film can sometimes be a fungus called favus, but this doesn't look like it. Frostbite is hard to miss--it may appear on the tips of the comb first looking brown, then turning black and necrotic. It is best prevented by providing ventilation high up in your coop to let out moist air and keeping humidity down in cold temperatures. Below is a picture of frostbite, and below that is a picture of favus:.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Fancypants1

Fancypants1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Central Massachusetts
    Thanks for the reply. It's getting cold here at night in Massachusetts so I was just curious. She probably does just have dry skin - my skin is looking the same way LOL. Here are a couple of my other girls and they didn't look as bad as my EF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by