Is this gosling ok?

Ok I got her all wrapped up! Poor little thing
sad.png
but good thing she does not really seem to notice.
Yay now give it a week then check again you might need to re wrap and go for another week, hopefully not. Just keep checking to make sure it doesn't get too tight since she is growing and filling out so fast.

Lampshade1660,
Wrap those wings right away, but be sure you get that last joint in the correct position and check it frequently for good circulation or it's all for nothing!

If it were my gosling, I would cut way back on the protein, add 25% steamed rolled oats to its ration, and add brewer's yeast (without garlic! -they hate that), Red Cell, and wheat germ oil to its feed for a bit. A high-protein diet -as much as it looks like it could use it- causes angel wing. I would give it no more than 15% total protein right now. Add enough wheat germ oil to the feed to coat it so the will brewers yeast stick to it. Add a half pound of brewers yeast per 50# of feed. The brewer's yeast is mostly B Complex vitamins (and contains a lot of niacin) and too much won't harm the bird. B vitamins are water-soluble, and, like vitamin C, they pass what they don't need, but I add this much to my regular feed all the time. Wheat germ oil and Red Cell (available at feed stores in the equine section) both contain fat-soluble vitamins and must be administered with caution because these are stored in the body fat and can become toxic if overdone. Add a small dollup of Red Cell to the oil and mix them into the feed well (about 1/4 cup) before mixing in the brewers yeast. Red Cell contains iron as well as vitamins E, D, and A. This can be discontinued once your gosling gets stronger and feathers out. Check the feces for worms as well. If it was raised in such unsanitary conditions, it may well have them. And while you're at it, check for mites. I hope you are lucky enough to have a vet that will see poultry, but don't be surprised if you cannot find one. They are few and far between.
Watch the sunflower seeds. Those have a very high protein content. I use cat kibble because they do need some animal protein in their diet, but it should make up no more than 1% of their total ration. If you use both, the combination of sunflower seed and cat food should still be no more than 1%. Don't get in a hurry to fix everything quickly. Watch to see that your gosling is feathering out evenly. I anticipate that you will see a growth spurt once the goose has a constant proper diet. They need a lot of niacin when in their fast-growth stage of development. Yours may need more than the average gosling. This is why I'm recommending adding these to your feed. Good luck. I think you're doing just fine! Please consider another goose, though. They really do need companions of their own kind. Geese are not like other poultry -and they know it!
smile.png

Kathy

Thanks!!!! Thats so helpful! I will work on all that for sure. Also, i have some great pictures to post soon! Her wings are looking quite a bit better already :) :) :)

Sometimes it does that when you try and put pictures on here. Just go off the sight for a bit then come back in again and try again. If trying to put more that one picture in while putting them in hit the ctrl key hold it down and pick all the pictures you want transferred and then hit he key to submit.

Back
Top Bottom