Is this hardened poo or umbilical cord?

flipflops

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
View attachment 1344774 This little silkie is the runt of my hatch. I just noticed this last night and she is about 3 days old but this hardened ball on her bottom. I worked on trying to soften it like it was poo but got no where. I put a little olive oil around the area as well because I could honestly not see her vent. Is this poo or cord?

Last edited:
If the crusty substance is blocking the vent, then you need to do whatever you can to remove it. If it's something you aren't sure of, and it isn't blocking the vent, leave it alone.

This little silkie is the runt of my hatch. I just noticed this last night and she is about 3 days old but this hardened ball on her bottom. I worked on trying to soften it like it was poo but got no where. I put a little olive oil around the area as well because I could honestly not see her vent. Is this poo or cord?
Take a picture first...

Oops I meant to add a pic
20180418_075035.jpg

Last night I did this off and on with warm water letting it soak in paper towels for 30 minutes and the hardened area would never soften up. Thats why I was wondering if it was something else besides poop.

What would that mean exactly? Do you see the pic I posted above? At times I will see it poop and a little will come out and other times its like it is going to poop and nothing comes out but then nothing is there either. She had to be helped from the egg which i regret doing because she is much smaller than the others and her toes are curled inward and walking on them and now this.

What would that mean exactly? Do you see the pic I posted above? At times I will see it poop and a little will come out and other times its like it is going to poop and nothing comes out but then nothing is there either. She had to be helped from the egg which i regret doing because she is much smaller than the others and her toes are curled inward and walking on them and now this.
Hmmm...I hate saying this and totally your Call..I would Cull it and move on. Sometimes things happen and you can't fit it.
Have you ever gotten to the point of looking like a normal vent area?...

Back
Top Bottom