Is this impossible

Vicke Lynne41

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
I have two female African Geese and one male African goose that I got when they were only a few days old on May 3, 2014. I also have one male Pekin Duck and one female Pekin Duck that are about 4 weeks older than the geese. About a month ago we noticed the ducks mating (if that is the proper word). Then a week or so ago I saw the male duck mating with one of the female geese. I didnt think anything of it because I thought A) they were both to young and B) they wont cross breed. Well my female duck has layed one egg a day for the last two days. My one female goose just laid an egg yesterday. The geese are about 16 weeks old. I had read over and over that geese with not start laying eggs until the spring and not until they are around 9 months old. So how is it that the one goose is laying eggs? I know it is a goose egg and not a duck egg because of the size difference. Just tonight I noticed that the same goose looks like she has another egg bulging from her belly area. It actually looks like an egg poking out like a baby's foot does in a human. So I am super confused and not sure what to do or think. Can someone explain to me how this is happening and if it is normal? Do ducks and geese cross breed?

I have two female African Geese and one male African goose that I got when they were only a few days old on May 3, 2014. I also have one male Pekin Duck and one female Pekin Duck that are about 4 weeks older than the geese. About a month ago we noticed the ducks mating (if that is the proper word). Then a week or so ago I saw the male duck mating with one of the female geese. I didnt think anything of it because I thought A) they were both to young and B) they wont cross breed. Well my female duck has layed one egg a day for the last two days. My one female goose just laid an egg yesterday. The geese are about 16 weeks old. I had read over and over that geese with not start laying eggs until the spring and not until they are around 9 months old. So how is it that the one goose is laying eggs? I know it is a goose egg and not a duck egg because of the size difference. Just tonight I noticed that the same goose looks like she has another egg bulging from her belly area. It actually looks like an egg poking out like a baby's foot does in a human. So I am super confused and not sure what to do or think. Can someone explain to me how this is happening and if it is normal? Do ducks and geese cross breed?
Ducks and geese don't cross breed but they will breed. My gander bred many Muscovy ducks till I got him his very own goose, no babies ever came of it in the 5 yrs it went on. We have at least 2 other member who are seeing eggs already out of their young geese or mating already started. Which for here in the US is very early. some Chinese will lay in the fall of the year though. So looks like you'll have some yummy goose eggs to bake and eat. they make awesome omelets. Very young for geese to be laying wow. Welcome to BYC.

Yes that is her. She is so friendly and loves when me or my kids rub her neck and down her back. She has no aggression at all. Now my male duck on the other hand, UGGG! I have lots of bruises from him.

Just to clear up any potential confusion: Female birds lay eggs regardless of male presence.

Eggs from the same bird can vary very much in size. But duck and goose eggs have different textures and colors. Duck eggs have a more waxy surface and tend to be tinted bluish/greenish; whereas goose eggs are white and chalky.

My goose, a White Danish, laid her first egg in October when she was 6 months 9 days old. I don't know about Africans, but I've heard Chinese geese can be very early layers. 16 weeks may be a new record, though.

The egg shaped bulge you describe in her belly area worries me. Where on her belly is it? Is it around her cloaca?

Just to clear up any potential confusion: Female birds lay eggs regardless of male presence.

Eggs from the same bird can vary very much in size. But duck and goose eggs have different textures and colors. Duck eggs have a more waxy surface and tend to be tinted bluish/greenish; whereas goose eggs are white and chalky.

My goose, a White Danish, laid her first egg in October when she was 6 months 9 days old. I don't know about Africans, but I've heard Chinese geese can be very early layers. 16 weeks may be a new record, though.

The egg shaped bulge you describe in her belly area worries me. Where on her belly is it? Is it around her cloaca?
True goose girl a pic would help there.

Vicke, a goose her age isn´t going to lay a very large egg.  And ducks can lay enormous eggs.  But duck eggs are extremely smooth, almost waxy.  Goose eggs are quite rough in comparison.  Are you sure the big egg isn´t from a duck?
X2; a pic would help. goose eggs feel almost chalky.
thats the first one i got. my ducks last year laid at this time of year. i called up my friend who has been breeding for nearly thirty years, and she said ducks and geese are both able to start laying end summer-early autumn the same year after they hatch. ducks more so than geese, but a goose can now and then.

All the eggs that are being laid are the size of an extra large chicken egg. Some are smooth and some are more rough to touch. This is the first time I found two eggs. Just over the weekend I found two more. This one you can see one is bigger but the on Satuday they were both basically the same size but I know my duck can not lay two eggs in within a few hours of each other.

As for my ducks belly lump thing, here is a picture of that. I was told its normal for a goose.

Back
Top Bottom