Is this just a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Farmer_Dan, May 24, 2011.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    There's a wooded park like area next to my work. I would like to have some chickens living in there that I could go watch while I'm on break. I was thinking it might work to put a small chicken shelter up in a tree a little bit where the chickens would have to fly in at night to roost and there by be protected from the coons.

Has anyone tried this? Is this just a horrible idea?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If a chicken can fly up to it, then a raccoon can certainly climb up to it...sounds like chicken dinner to me. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

3. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Yep, dumb idea. Just sit down and think about it and you will probably agree. If not, I would love to read this journal, I give um/it five days max.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I don't think the shelter would offer much...shelter. But for anyone who's seen wild or feral chickens, they do pretty well on their own. But it would have to be a tough kind of bird out there. Grab some of those wild chickens in Key West. They's be OK out there.

5. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Yes, obviously they'd have to be from a line of pseudo - wild chickens anyway. I was thinking sumatras, but I'm open to suggestions.

I've seen coops that were designed so that the chickens had to fly up away from the predators that reportedly work, it's mostly a matter of getting the right birds that will fly up there. I have seen my sumatra's fly up to 10 feet up easily. I doubt a coon could jump that high & if it was suspended by a cable from a tree (or something like that) I doubt a coon could climb down the wire and to where they coudl get one.

I mean, sure it's risky, but I'm just kinda kickin around the idea, brainstorming ya know.

I miss my chickens all day every day while I have to work! It would be awesome to go visit with them on lunch.

BTW, there are a few geese wandering around the fountain and lots and lots of bunnies in the underbrush that seem to do just fine.

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Or just feed the geese and pretend they are really tall chickens...

7. weaselslucks

weaselslucks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Southington,Ct
    where do you work ?I doubt your company would like the idea.

8. Farmer_Dan

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I want to keep that on the DL. I'm not sure if they'd like it or hate it, it could really go either way.... Best to ask forgiveness than permission though imo.

;-}

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you don't own the land, you probably shouldn't be puttiing chickens there.

10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:Yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by