Is this just a bad idea?

Quote:
In England yes. They have no raccoons in England.

I have seen my sumatra's fly up to 10 feet up easily. I doubt a coon could jump that high & if it was suspended by a cable from a tree (or something like that) I doubt a coon could climb down the wire and to where they coudl get one.

Raccoons climb out on electric utility wires; and I'm not sure you'd have a lot of luck getting chickens to roost in a *hanging* coop. I mean, you can still try it if you want, I'm just sayin'.

BTW, there are a few geese wandering around the fountain and lots and lots of bunnies in the underbrush that seem to do just fine.

The ones you see today did fine so far. However you don't get to see the ones that DON'T do fine (unless you can recognize individuals and notice their absence after a particular day).

Honestly I think that your bigger problem would be getting chickens to WANT to sleep in the type contraption you describe (especially if it's something hanging from a wire) -- IMO there is a pretty good chance that unless you are able to catch them and make SURE they go in there every night for a while, they may very well decide that roosting in trees is much more pleasant. Hopefully they would still stick around, if you are providing food and good habitat, but without a coop to pen them in for a while to make it easy for you to manually establish the roosting habit, it may be up to luck what arrangements they ultimately decide to make about nighttime.

If you don't mind some significant risk of loss to predators, sure, go ahead and do it. Just don't be fooling yourself about the extent to which these planned gimmicks are changing the risk, IMO.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Wait a minute. Are you thinking about letting some chickens loose in a public park, or someone else's private property?

Hey GO FOR IT, anything is possible! However, if at the same time you do this if you could also create some type of derivative or financial security instument that people could trade or be able to bet on the odds in vegas on the survival of your chickens. I personaly would SHORT the hell out of it, or be on the other side of that bet
wink.png

Once upon a time, I built what I thought was a predator proof coop/run, only to find 2 dead chickens ripped up and pulled thru the chicken wire.

Seriously I do believe that it could be done and anything is possible, but it would cost some big bucks and involve automatic doors and probably all kinds of other things that you wouldn't want to spend money on, and would probably go beyond you just asking for forgiveness and lead to your job being terminated.

How about some guineas? I have friends who live in a large wooded community, with lots of wild critters. There are guineas running around all over the place, and they are pretty friendly- if you bring treats for them, they will love you!

Paradise Chickens
"Poultry in Motion!"

I'm not sure about protecting them from predators, etc., but I don't think it's a good idea to release animals onto someone else's property without permission. Why don't you just ask your boss if you can put in a small chicken coop there for the enjoyment of you and your coworkers during your lunch hour?

Hm, I'd interpreted this as land belonging to the employer and with permission given. If this is actual PARK space, i.e. municipal or state owned or something like that, then the idea is pretty much a nonstarter. For one thing, your coop would not likely last long.

Quote:
ROTFLMAO!
lol.png

Pat

Quote:
As a commercial banker, I find this rather funny.
wink.png

Bad idea, unless the coyotes are starving. KIRO7 showed photos of coyotes in West Seattle. They are all around.

Wouldn't those Starbuck effisionados from Seattle City Hall have a cow from being woke up by those rooster song fests at 3 am and therby invite you to a striped suit party at the local barred door establishment?

Back
Top Bottom