Is This Mareks???

Alex1010

Chirping
Oct 8, 2015
North Carolina
So i have a Buff Mottled Sable Poot, i got her with a limp the lady said she was over mated and needed to rest so, i let her rest. But she got really bad. And she had some really bad leg mites. But she has one leg going backwards and one going forward and her toe is curled. she has been eating but lately she stopped and i don't think she'll make it. Can anybody help Me??
She doesn't have any symptoms for mareks it just her legs, one seems to be Paralyzed.

he.gif
he.gif

This makes me SOOOOOO mad that someone sold you a bird in ANY kind of a bad condition!! That's SO WRONG!
rant.gif

Yes, it most definitely sounds like Marek's. I only hope this poor hen went no where near any of your other chicken!! It looks like it's affecting more than her legs. One wing seems to be down too! Poor thing!

Hey there Alex1010

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens and while I agree that it could be Mareks; just wanted to throw another option into the mix due to what sounds like not the best previous living conditions, leg mite, over mated etc .. it could also be a vitamin deficiency.

PS. Good luck with her .. she is very pretty!

I'm going to add this thought in the event it's not Marek's...vitamin deficiency can also mimic this along with heavy parasite load. It certainly won't hurt to give her electrolytes and vitamins and a worming medicine. If it is Marek's (only a necropsy can tell) then your property has now been exposed.

Hey there Alex1010

I am definitely not an expert when it comes to what ails chickens and while I agree that it could be Mareks; just wanted to throw another option into the mix due to what sounds like not the best previous living conditions, leg mite, over mated etc .. it could also be a vitamin deficiency.

PS. Good luck with her .. she is very pretty!
Teila and I are on the same page!
smile.png

I'm Pretty Sure It's Not Mareks, Cause She Has No Symptoms Just One Leg Isn't Working. But Her Both Wings Work Good. I'll Worm Here And I'll Buy Vitamins Pretty Sure It's Vitamin Deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom