Is this normal cockeral (pecking/bullying) behavior?

mom23chicklets

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 31, 2007
CT
Hi All,

As some of you know, my Buff Orpington, Sweetie, was getting bullied and I'd find her trying to hide herself in the coop wedged in somewhere. Up until a week ago, she was not hurt. About 5 days ago, I found her with a bloody cheek and have had her in the house since. My wonderful hubby built a fenced in pen inside the coop so that the others couldn't get to her at night time as we acclimate her back with the flock. During the day, we let her hang with the other chickens for a while as we watch.

Today, Sweetie was following me around as usual outside. I had let the rest of the flock out to free range. They were all happily foraging quite aways up in the woods when the 3 Ameraucana roos ( four months old) saw Sweetie and made a bee line for her! Everytime I turn my back to them they tried to grab her on the back.

Why are these birds so bent on bullying her???!!! She's 2 months old. I hate to have to get rid of the roos. They are beautiful birds that I've raised since little babies. But I can't have my favorite hen get beat up whenever I'm not there.

Any advise would be helpful and much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Silkiechicken,

The roos are only 4 months old and I have not seen any behavior that indicates they are trying to mate. I am new to being a chicken mom!

Thanks for your response.

I'd agree- keep her separate. Unfortunatley, the longer you keep her separate, the more difficult it may be to get her back in without getting picked on pretty bad. (I think)

Have you considered rehoming her...or even if you have an extra pen, she and a "friend" can live in another coop. I have heard buffs are pretty easy going--mine are, but there is little room for fighting when you only have a few with them.

I hope you work it out. Its great you are being so diligent on taking care of her and protecting her...your a good momma!

Back
Top Bottom