Is this normal did I handle it right?

Sep 15, 2021
Iowa
I have some 6 week old chickens that i am letting free range with my older 1 and a half year flock....how ever my little ones are free ranging and figure out there pwcking ordwr however i have 1 possibly 2 older hens that walk over and peck the little ones should i stop them or let them do it?....i have been letting them do it especially if littles challange the bigs and to let littles know the bigs are in charge however the other day one was challenging my little chick and was pecking jer alot and the baby was crying so i flicked my big chickens cheat and she walked a away and hasnt pic on her sence but should i have not done that or what should i do...i know some pecking will be envoled but i never know if i shoupd come to the rescue after multiple pecking or do i leave it?

Did you do see no touch integration? If you didn't do that, then you need to. They need to be able to get used to seeing each other before you can let them be together. Or else the current flock will attack the new ones.
Yes everyday I had my big ones come in the garage for hours while chicks were in brooder and they didnt mind but now since there older it just depends they also have had see no touch outside on warm days....and right now there only on supervised visits and will be for months but I just want to make sure I am doing it right

Ok thanks guys.....do you think I am trying to move them together to fast, should I wait till there similar sizes? There in two different coops until fall anyway that's the plan
Different sizes are fine, theres actually an article on here about integrating at 4 weeks, so 6 weeks shouldn't be an issue. I agree that you can let them sort it out. If it becomes very aggressive, than setup a see no touch in the coop for another week, then try again.

A few pecks are not a problem, a cornered chick with no escape getting eaten alive is a problem. Most chicks are as fast as lightening and if there are escapes they can escape, retreat and come back out, is what works best for me, on their terms, not mine.

I would not separate them, I would think this as a successful integration.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom