Is this normal for Khaki Campbell drake?

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
My one Khaki Campbell drake has changed his colors strangely enough. Is this normal to happen.
The first photo was taken on 1/23/18 (he's the one on the right). The second photo is of him now: no black feathers, no curl tail but he still has his raspy voice. He is almost a year old too. He now more resembles my girls. Has any one else seen this happen. My other drake is 6 weeks older and is unchanged (photo #4).

20180123_130621.jpg

20180415_105447.jpg

Another of him
20180415_105607.jpg

#4 Both drakes now
View attachment 1342019
In case this last photo doesn't display, I added it under reply.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Im sure someone else who knows more will help, but the only thing that I can think of is that maybe he molted? I know ducks lose feathers and change colors in a molt so he may be in the process of that? :)

He may be coming out of his eclipse going back to the mallard roots of the breed. Something may be confusing his timing a bit my ducks sometimes get a bit confused the first year:thumbsup
I have been trying to learn more on molting, I know it easy to tell the drakes apart for now. Mine are a bit strange, up all night and sleep part of day, so a confused molting duck seems normal. It's like they're on night patrol duty.

I don't know much about the matter and it sounds like its solved, just when I read what you first said I was reminded seeing a thing on how in rare cases poultry will change sex/go hermy. Just the cases where with all female groups with the absence of males and they where not sure if it was environmental or hereditary or what.

Back
Top Bottom