Is this normal??!! O.O

MammaDuck01

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Arkansas
My two ducklings are about 2 moths old give or take. I just turned their heating lamp off today because I've noticed them panting. They are still in my house with me and are often running a muck lol. We keep it about 73° in the house and they are still panting and their little feet are hot as firecrackers! Still acting like their usual happy mischievous little selves lol. Not too extremely worried but would still like to know. To make sure they are OK.

I would get them into a tub of lukewarm water. 8 weeks times 5 is 40, 90 minus 40 is 50, so they may just be a little on the warm side. If their brooder is on the small side, and there's little ventilation, it could be getting uncomfortably warm in there for them.

They are in a ferret cage right now unfortunately but they both have enough room to b apart but choose not to lol. It doesn't matter if they are in the brooder or not. Its like they are super hot blooded. Sometimes they pant but a lot of the time they don't. The cage is a two story, about two foot high, and their lamp is a foot above that.

My two ducklings are about 2 moths old give or take. I just turned their heating lamp off today because I've noticed them panting. They are still in my house with me and are often running a muck lol. We keep it about 73° in the house and they are still panting and their little feet are hot as firecrackers! Still acting like their usual happy mischievous little selves lol. Not too extremely worried but would still like to know. To make sure they are OK.

Another possibility: Often, ducklings' nostrils get clogged with food and they cannot breath well through them so they have to switch to breathing through their mouths. They prevent this by being able to fully submerge their heads in water.

How to tell: Do they have regular access to water deep enough to dip their heads (look up headwashers on this forum to get ideas on how to provide deep enough water for them without making too much of a mess). Sometimes you can also look in their nose and actually see the blockage. Normally, the nares and completely open, and you can actually see right through one and the other at the right angle with backlighting.

Last edited:
I agree. Heat or plugged nostrils could be the issue. I am no expert but we have two pekins that eat like pigs and afterward, they seem to be panting. But after a few good head dunks and sprays it stops. We use the biggest cool whip containers with half moons cut out on the lid. Seems to work well. Just have to change them out a couple of times a day.

OK thank u so much guys!!! These are my first ducks. I've always wanted some but haven't till now. They have deffinetly become my baby's lol and I just worry.

Back
Top Bottom