Is This Normal

wildernesschic5

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2016
I posted a couple days ago regarding my chicken the was attacked by a dog. This happened on Wednesday and she still won't move much. She can't stand on her own therefore she won't walk. She usually lays 1 egg a day and hasn't since the attack happened. Are these things normal or is she more than likely suffering?

She could just be in shock but you should give her exam to determine if she responds to pain. If she does I guess you either take her to a vet (if you can find a poultry vet) or wait it out to see if she recovers. And I'm sure you're giving her access to water and food. I'm sorry no one has responded to your initial post. I don't know what else to advise. Hang in there. :/

Thank you for responding. Sometimes I feel like she is in pain because she bocks a lot, but when I touch her legs or spray her wound it doesn't seem to bother her. I'm also concerned because when she poops, she doesn't move and it just sits on her butt. So I clean her up of course. Is it common for chickens to get paralyzed? How long can they be in shock for? My fiance wants to give her till Monday, but I have hope and been praying a lot. It's hard because I don't want her to suffer but I also don't want to put her down if she has a chance of pulling through.

She may have internal injuries?
Put her in a crate and bring her inside..Cover the crate and keep her quiet...Try feeding her and giving her water...
Gatorade works great in a pinch...I wont prescribe any meds because I am not a vet...Somethings may cause more damage than good for the bird..

Best of luck...

I brought her inside right away. I will cover her crate though so she doesn't continue to get more traumatized by my cats trying to figure out what's going on.

I brought her inside right away. I will cover her crate though so she doesn't continue to get more traumatized by my cats trying to figure out what's going on.

Give her some daytime, so she will eat and drink. If it's very dark in a covered cage, she will go into sleep mode and not eat or drink. She should be taking something in by day three, if she is able. I've had to hydrate severely injured chickens before with a tube because they couldn't or wouldn't drink. If she has leg injuries, it will be important to know if it's something she can recover from or not going to be able to recover from. Some things take a couple of weeks to see response from, so a few days isn't enough, but if you can take her to a vet to see if he can tell whats going on with her legs and put her on antibiotics to prevent infection, that would help. Her leg injury may be so severe, like a torn ligament she won't recover. Have you picked her up and felt around for anything abnormal?

I would suggest baby asprin, one a day, for pain, but not knowing if she is bleeding inside (if she is, she won't last long) it may not be safe. Maybe by day three it might be ok to try a baby asprin a day for pain. Just pop in the back of her mouth and she will swallow it. Maybe do that for a few days and see if she gets around more. But usually, when a chicken is attacked, it's not unusual for them to go through a three day recovery (shock) period. Staying hydrated is more important during this time than worrying about her eating. Water is most important. You can try dribbling a little bit at a time with a syringe to the beak and see if she will swallow if she won't drink herself. Keep her water close so she can reach without getting up.

Back
Top Bottom