Is this normal?

ComeBackYeller

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 25, 2013
Just got this girl yesterday as a BFF (sometimes you have to buy your friends I suppose) for our turkey, Petunia. Petunia originally started as Thanksgiving dinner but quickly won my heart; I'll make a bad farmer; more like an animal rescue center. Anyway, I have renamed them 'Pete' and 'Repeat'. Last night I found Repeat (new girl) up roosting with my layers. I was quite surprised. Pete sleeps on the floor of the coop, which is 50' long and 25' wide.....quite large enough for everyone. Wondering if this is normal? These are my 1st turkeys.

As far as I know, turkeys like to roost. The wild turkeys around our house roost in the highest parts of the trees. I don't have any experience with tame turkeys though.

Just got this girl yesterday as a BFF (sometimes you have to buy your friends I suppose) for our turkey, Petunia. Petunia originally started as Thanksgiving dinner but quickly won my heart; I'll make a bad farmer; more like an animal rescue center. Anyway, I have renamed them 'Pete' and 'Repeat'. Last night I found Repeat (new girl) up roosting with my layers. I was quite surprised. Pete sleeps on the floor of the coop, which is 50' long and 25' wide.....quite large enough for everyone. Wondering if this is normal? These are my 1st turkeys.
Went to buy a tom and 2-3 hens today, about 5pm here. Sun is going down, easier to catch the birds.....uh not happening...why you may ask? The entire ''gaggle" took to the huge pine trees. Every single one of them. Way up, about 20+ feet. Well, one ended up breaking the branch it was on and fell to earth then quickly flew back up....but I would say it is quite normal.

Mine are roosting the instant the colors change outside to indicate the sun will set. Two BRs and one male silver pheasant and they all roost together :)

no worries, the one roosting on the ground will start to roost with the other . It took mine almost two weeks to start roosting on the roost once I put it up.

I have 2 blue slates. One roosts inside where the other insists on roosting g outside on top of the coop. :confused:. They all seem very happy with it so we don't force her to go inside.

Back
Top Bottom