1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by ComeBackYeller, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ComeBackYeller

ComeBackYeller New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Just got this girl yesterday as a BFF (sometimes you have to buy your friends I suppose) for our turkey, Petunia. Petunia originally started as Thanksgiving dinner but quickly won my heart; I'll make a bad farmer; more like an animal rescue center. Anyway, I have renamed them 'Pete' and 'Repeat'. Last night I found Repeat (new girl) up roosting with my layers. I was quite surprised. Pete sleeps on the floor of the coop, which is 50' long and 25' wide.....quite large enough for everyone. Wondering if this is normal? These are my 1st turkeys.
    [​IMG]

2. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota
    As far as I know, turkeys like to roost. The wild turkeys around our house roost in the highest parts of the trees. I don't have any experience with tame turkeys though.

3. ComeBackYeller

ComeBackYeller New Egg

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks...they are all happy being together...no blood-letting as of yet, Best, Lisa

4. Foxs Fowl Farm

Foxs Fowl Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2013
    Waddell, Arizona
    Went to buy a tom and 2-3 hens today, about 5pm here. Sun is going down, easier to catch the birds.....uh not happening...why you may ask? The entire ''gaggle" took to the huge pine trees. Every single one of them. Way up, about 20+ feet. Well, one ended up breaking the branch it was on and fell to earth then quickly flew back up....but I would say it is quite normal.

5. Koeyohte

Koeyohte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Mine are roosting the instant the colors change outside to indicate the sun will set. Two BRs and one male silver pheasant and they all roost together :)

6. jim c

jim c Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    no worries, the one roosting on the ground will start to roost with the other . It took mine almost two weeks to start roosting on the roost once I put it up.

7. Ardizzone7

Ardizzone7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Redkey, IN
    I have 2 blue slates. One roosts inside where the other insists on roosting g outside on top of the coop. :confused:. They all seem very happy with it so we don't force her to go inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by