Is this normal?

I offer up probiotics several times a week to my birds water. 70% of the immune system is in the intestines. Bad pathogens can't survive in oxygenated areas of good bacteria. So by adding probiotics, you are not only assisting in stopping these pathogens from taking hold, but strengthening the immune system for the entire bird.
@TwoCrows I read your post with great interest. Since my girls' switch to the coop I have not used ProBiotics in their water now that they have matured. I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket waterer system, so my question is this: how long will the ProBiotics remain "viable" since I only change and clean the bucket once a week? Very interested to hear your views.
frow.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Iwiw, I don't think it would work well in your bucket system. I have found that you need to change probiotic water every day. It seems to smell sour the next day. I think the good bacteria break down after 24 hours.

BUT...you CAN add it to their crumbles. Even on some chopped up hard boiled eggs a few times a week. I have found that some birds will even eat it readily from a SPOON if you offer it up to them! LOL

Iwiw, I don't think it would work well in your bucket system. I have found that you need to change probiotic water every day. It seems to smell sour the next day. I think the good bacteria break down after 24 hours.

BUT...you CAN add it to their crumbles. Even on some chopped up hard boiled eggs a few times a week. I have found that some birds will even eat it readily from a SPOON if you offer it up to them! LOL
Oh, that would work great for me! I give my girls warm oatmeal and black sunflower seeds one morning, the next they get hard-boiled eggs crumbled up....I will start sprinkling it on their eggs. My ProBiotics is in the blue/orange packets...how much should I sprinkle if I do it twice a week?

I know what you are talking about, but I have never used those packets. LOL

Just sprinkle it on like you might powder the top of a chocolate cake with powdered sugar. Not too fine, but not too heavy. You can't hurt them by going over board. Although if they have never had probiotics, they can get the runs with too much. But eventually they get used to all the new bacteria and they can eat a lot of it. So dust the top and your birds should be good to go!!
smile.png

I know what you are talking about, but I have never used those packets. LOL

Just sprinkle it on like you might powder the top of a chocolate cake with powdered sugar. Not too fine, but not too heavy. You can't hurt them by going over board. Although if they have never had probiotics, they can get the runs with too much. But eventually they get used to all the new bacteria and they can eat a lot of it. So dust the top and your birds should be good to go!!
smile.png

Got it ... thankie-thankie!!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom