Is this OK for broody jail?

loohoo

Songster
May 9, 2020
Southern Ohio, US
The grates in the bottom of the dog cage are too far apart and I didn't have enough hardware cloth to cover the bottom like I had planned. I got creative and cut apart a flexible plastic hamper we had (those $5 Walmart ones), and lined the bottom with that. Will that still let enough air flow through the bottom to do the job? It's up on cinder blocks as well.

20210616_140857.jpg

The plastic should be fine as long as she can't get her foot caught in it. Is it secured down or just staying put because it's cut to fit?

They don't NEED a roost for night but it doesn't hurt to have one either. I don't bother providing a roost for broodies, they just sit on the floor.

The plastic should be fine as long as she can't get her foot caught in it. Is it secured down or just staying put because it's cut to fit?

They don't NEED a roost for night but it doesn't hurt to have one either. I don't bother providing a roost for broodies, they just sit on the floor.
Thank you! I ended up putting a roost in last night, she did use it.
I ziptied the plastic to the wire of the cage.
How long does it usually take to break your broodies? She'll have been in there for 24 hours here soon. She doesn't appear to be fluffing herself out and growling everytime the other girls come up to the cage anymore.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor after pic was taken, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.
1623940313797.png

Back
Top Bottom