Is this pea comb too large for a 4 week old EE pullet?

The idea that only roosters have three lined combs is a complete myth. I have a few hens that have three-lined combs.
100% agree. I have been trying to stop this rumor for a while :) I've had plenty of exceptions, at least in Brahmas. Perhaps in Easter Eggers it works from what I've heard, but I am extremely hesitant to use that method. Steered me the wrong way for sure. Perhaps a suitable general rule, but wouldn't assume gender based on it alone :)
I did think that it sounded a little weird. Glad to hear it's false, I've got a couple more chicks with a 3 lined pea comb that I hope to be pullets!

Can you get full-bodied pics of both? Second does indeed look to be a cockerel to me
The second is definitely a cockerel. Large, bright red comb, and crows repeatedly in the morning (not that only roosters can crow). I can tell he is top of the pecking order. He scares the others sometimes. :p

I'll get a picture of the other chick tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they're a cockerel, but I would love your input! :D

Can you get full-bodied pics of both? Second does indeed look to be a cockerel to me
Alright, here are some more pics. I was pretty sure cockerel for a bit there, but now I'm not so sure. They definitely act more like a cockerel than a pullet. He/she is 5 and a half weeks old now.
20210511_140834_resized.jpg

20210515_124952.jpg

The chick doesn't have any wattles so far.

That reminds me: I heard someone say that when chicks are around 7 weeks and under, chicks with even the smallest amount of red in their wattles are immediately cockerels. Is this true? :hmm

Thanks in advance!

Alright, here are some more pics. I was pretty sure cockerel for a bit there, but now I'm not so sure. They definitely act more like a cockerel than a pullet. He/she is 5 and a half weeks old now.
View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224

That reminds me: I heard someone say that when chicks are around 7 weeks and under, chicks with even the smallest amount of red in their wattles are immediately cockerels. Is this true? :hmm

Thanks in advance!
Looking like a pullet so far.

View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224

Thanks in advance!
I have had pullets get red much earlier than that. I think 1 was 2 weeks. She was almost laying when I realized that it was not an all cockeral hatch.

View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224

Thanks in advance!
Looks like a cockerel to me

View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224

Thanks in advance!
I have a Cochin that had intensely red wattles and at the base of the comb at about 5-6 weeks, it's a pullet still no color in the comb but she's started squatting so hopefully any day now that comb will start to fill in.

Back
Top Bottom