Is this poop bloody?

There's more of it today, so I suspect it is cocci (or not intestinal lining, anyway), although all the birds are acting normal. Have to wait on the corid, but I'll give antibiotics from today.

For my flock I only saw the poop this way a couple of time at first and more as it moved through the flock, then you will see it less as you have started treatment. Hopefully by the end of treatment you won't see it at all.

I've asked at a local vets but they won't do fecal tests without seeing the animal. Does anybody know where I can look to have someone do this?

Rob

Well I'm worried now and the corid is coming by ground shipping so it could take days. No idea where I can buy the stuff locally so I've also ordered sulmet on next day delivery. Does anybody know if sulmet and corid can be administered together?

No, do not use them together.

Corid is amprolium. You can find it at any feed store that caters to cattle. It would be in the aisle that has all the meds the bottle usually runs around $10-12.

I would keep calling around on the vet. Tell them it is for a flock of chickens, not just one. The fecal for looking for cocci is the same as doing one for any other animal, there is no difference.

The vets want to "take you in as a patient" and all that crap. So that's not much good.

I've been calling feed stores around here. I've gone through 3 of them so far and nobody stocks corid or sulmet. It'll be a week until anybody can get some. Same with the vet I called. All I have is a sachet of duramycin-10 (tetracycline), which is for respiratory infections in chickens or bacterial enteritis in swine.

I'm a little worried I may have dead birds on my hands in a week.

Nobody nearby sells anything. I've placed another internet order which will take 3 business days. I've also found somewhere which will do a fecal test. They're testing for cocci and worms and I should know by Friday what the deal is.

Last edited:
Test results came through and the chickens are clean...
They still produce poop that looks odd every so often. It's happened maybe 4 times since I first posted and looks like strawberry jam rather than blood.
The vet reckons it may be just something they're eating and it's not a problem. Certainly the chickens are behaving normally.

I will try to work out if any particular food item is producing this effect.

I'm giving them a 5 day course of corid just in case (1 tsp/gallon).

Rob

Back
Top Bottom