is this possible? lavender araucana x white leghorn offspring.

MrViskers

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Australia
i own a male lavender araucana about 5 months and a white leghorn female about 4-5 months .. Im new to the world of chicken ownership and i have recently made my own flock , i bought a pair of araucana lavenders one female which the lady told me they will be ready to breed in a few months and one white leghorn pullet.. all 3 chickens get along the male araucana is starting to crow . the person i bought them from said they will be ready to breed anytime in spring. Im in Australia and it is winter. I want to have mixed breed Easter 'Egger' chicks but is it possible with a Lavender male Araucana and a White female Leghorn?
hmm.png
hmm.png

What color would be more dominant ? or is it a mixed chance of the offspring being Lavender and white.. i've heard that Araucana gene is dominantly black while its white as well . but I have seen some Easter Eggers 'mongrels' with interesting colors.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Leghorns are dominant white. You need 2 copies of lav to have a visually lavender bird. Your Araucana will give one copy to his offspring & theoretically, they will be visually white split to(carrying) lavender. If you breed them back to the Araucana roo, you'll get some lavender, some black split, some pure white & some white split.

We just hatched an araucana rooster with a white leghorn hen. The chick came out with all yellow feathers and a couple of black spots. The chick looks healthy.

Here is a picture of our Araucana rooster and White leghorn Hen mix. It is the one with the black spot on its back.

Yes white is dominant. Well when it comes to Auracanas. I have it pretty easy. I have a White tufted Auracanas rooster. But the chicks seem to have the black spots.
I did this cross last year. And kept a rumpless 1/2 and 1/2 hen. She laid a green egg all thru the winter. And to my surprise she became broddy. And set very good. However she is not a good mother. And lost all her chicks.
She just started laying again. Maybe 2 weeks after loosing her chicks.
This time to I will have to keep better records of when she hatches the biddies out. And put them in the brooder.
I have some nice tufted Auracanas in the brooder. They could be out of the leghorn hens. I do not know. If the tufts breed on. But I will let you all know...Thanks...NJNick

I have an Lavender Ameraucana rooster and a white leghorn hen and I'm thinking about hatching some of her eggs... Do you all know which comb is dominant in this cross? I read in the thread that white is dominant and I would have to breed back to get any lavender actually show up.

Back
Top Bottom