Is this pullet and is it Maran?

Lida7

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
I did read the standard before buying her, but she struggled when I was looking at her closely. I looked for saddle feathers and comb and wattle, and signs of parasites. She has quite lot of color on front of her chest. But her saddle feathers look wide and rounded, and the comb is tiny. I do not mind if she is not quite purebred, but I do mind if she is a boy. Roosters are not allowed here.
This is my 1st post here, hope I am doing it right.
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

Thanks everybody. Her name is Esmeralda, and looking at her this morning walking around the garden, her shape does say girl. If she is x-bred that would be disappointing, but not a disaster, after all I just wanted shiny black green chook to join my motley flock of 2 Polish ladies, 2 Araucanas and 2 Barnevelders. I came across the Marans while looking for black chicken and thought chocolate eggs would be lovely. Well, we are allowed her 8 chooks, so I will keep looking but it's hard as all our poultry groups are now on Facebook and they do not allow any type of selling or buying or asking about breeders.

I started to worry yesterday when I noticed her rather strong legs and some color coming through on the body. But her tiny comb and round feathers are I hope indication that she is a girl. But I decided that if it is a boy I will just give him good life until he starts crowing and will try to find a home for him. Even if he ends up in the pot then, at least he'd had a good life. I am not going to take him back.
IMG_1446.JPG

Back
Top Bottom